The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) headquarters yesterday scheduled the extempore party congress aimed at removing Deputy Legislative Speaker Hung Hsiu-chu (洪秀柱) as the party’s presidential candidate. It is to take place on Saturday.
The congress, which has as its objectives “forging consensuses and securing victory through party solidarity,” is scheduled to begin at 2pm on Saturday at the National Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, KMT Culture and Communications Committee director-general Lin Yi-hua (林奕華) said after the conclusion of a party affairs meeting in Taipei yesterday morning.
When asked about whether such short notice would make it impossible for overseas KMT representatives to return for the congress, Lin said the Civil Associations Act (人民團體法) only requires one day advance notice for such a meeting, adding that she believes the selection of the date conforms with the law.
Photo: Chien Jung-fong, Taipei Times
Regarding calls from some KMT lawmakers that the proposal to rescind Hung’s nomination be put to a secret ballot, Lin said the issue was not discussed at the meeting.
“The agenda and procedures for the congress will be made public after they are finalized. On Wednesday [tomorrow], we are scheduled to first brief members of the KMT Central Standing Committee on the matter,” Lin said.
The announcement came after the committee passed a motion on Wednesday last week, backed by nearly three-fourths of its 39 members, to hold a provisional congress to replace Hung as presidential candidate.
Hung, who was officially nominated by the KMT on July 19 as the only hopeful to have met all of the party’s presidential primary requirements, has been facing mounting pressure from other members to exit the race for the Jan. 16 election, as her support ratings have dropped by more than 20 percentage points in the past few months.
KMT Chairman Eric Chu (朱立倫) last week weighed in on the matter, saying that Hung’s pro-unification cross-strait policies run counter to both the party’s stance and mainstream public opinion, and urged her to look at the bigger picture.
Chu added that he was willing to “assume the responsibility” of being the party’s candidate should Hung decide to quit the race.
However, Hung has refused to quit and vowed to continue campaigning until the last minute.
Rejecting Hung’s comments on Sunday that putting her nomination to a vote — whether by applause, a show of hands, or a ballot — at the congress would be detrimental to the KMT’s primary mechanism, KMT Legislator Lo Shu-lei (羅淑蕾) said that changing the polling method only for Hung could impair the congress’ procedures.
“Given that a KMT congress approved Hung’s nomination with a round of applause, adopting a different voting method now could be disruptive,” Lo said.
Lo said that applause is also an effective manner of voting, because it is easy to determine whether a proposal has passed by the proportion of attendees standing up and applauding.
When asked who would be the most suitable substitute for Hung, Lo said that she believes Chu would be the party’s best hope.
“Factoring in political geography, provincialism and gender, KMT Vice Chairperson Huang Min-hui (黃敏惠), who once served as Chiayi mayor, would also be an ideal choice,” Lo added.
In related news, at a question-and-answer session in the legislature, Control Yuan Secretary-General Fu Meng-jung (傅孟融) said that Hung would be required to transfer the remainder of contributions to her campaign to the government’s coffers should she be forced out of the race.
“According to the Political Donations Act (政治獻金法), Hung will no longer be allowed to tap the political donations she has received once she exits the race. She will be required to submit a list of all expenditures to the Control Yuan within three months and give the remainder to the government,” Fu said.
Hung would be required to set up a new campaign account should she plan to run for a different post, Fu said.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary