Japanese opposition groups yesterday vowed to challenge laws passed overnight that clear Japanese troops to fight abroad for the first time since World War II, while Beijing voiced concern.
Japan’s ruling coalition, led by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, pushed the laws through in the early hours of the morning after days of tortuous debate that at points descended into physical scuffles in parliament.
For the first time in 70 years, the new regulations are to give the Japanese government the power to send the military into overseas conflicts to defend allies, even if the nation itself is not under attack.
Photo: AFP
Abe said the laws are necessary to protect against threats from an increasingly belligerent China and unstable North Korea, but opponents fear the vague wording could see Japan dragged into far-flung foreign wars.
“This is not an end,” said Renho, a senior lawmaker from the main opposition Democratic Party of Japan, who goes by one name.
“Let us make it the beginning of the beginning,” she said on Twitter.
Social Democratic Party senior lawmaker Mizuho Fukushima told a crowd who gathered outside parliament during the debate: “Abe’s Cabinet criminals... Let us get them out of here.”
China voiced its concerns, with its Ministry of Foreign Affairs saying the changes are an “unprecedented” change in Japan’s military stance since World War II, and urged Tokyo to “pay attention to security concerns of its neighbors.”
“We solemnly urge Japan to learn the lessons of history ... uphold the path of peaceful development and act cautiously in the areas of the military and security, and do more to help push regional peace and stability rather than the opposite,” it said.
Speaking after the vote, Abe said the changes were “necessary in order to protect people’s lives and peaceful way of life.”
“This is designed to prevent wars,” he told journalists.
A group of about 300 protesters gathered outside parliament, calling for the legislation to be abolished and vowing never to stop their fight against Abe.
“Our battle will never end. This is just the beginning,” said Keisuke Yamamoto, an organizer from one of the citizen groups that have been leading weeks of rallies. “We will resort to every possible measure, including bringing the case to the courts... We cannot let this movement fizzle out now.”
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats