The Central Weather Bureau (CWB) yesterday said that it could issue sea and land alerts for Typhoon Soudelor tomorrow if it increases in strength, adding that it does not rule out the typhoon making landfall.
As of 2pm yesterday, the center of the typhoon was 1,870km southeast of Taipei. It was moving northwest at 20kph. The radius of the storm had reached 250km.
The bureau forecast that Soudelor would move toward the nation’s northern and northeastern regions. It said those regions would see increased chances of showers due to the influence of the typhoon’s circumfluence.
Photo: AFP
As the typhoon approaches, the chances of heavy to extremely heavy rainfall would increase nationwide, the bureau said.
CWB weather forecast center director Cheng Ming-dean (鄭明典) said that the nation would be directly under the influence of Soudelor on Friday and Saturday, adding that the tail of the typhoon could still affect the nation’s weather on Sunday.
He said that people should be alert to massive rainfall and strong winds brought by the typhoon.
The approach of Soudelor might remind some people of Typhoon Morakot in 2009, which barreled into Taiwan on Aug. 8, when the nation celebrates Father’s Day.
The torrential rainfall brought by Morakot caused the most severe flooding in the nation since 1959, killing 681 people, 474 of them in Siaolin Village (小林) in then-Kaohsiung County, who were buried alive under a mudslide.
Historical records compiled by WeatherRisk showed that the bureau has issued sea alerts for 28 tropical storms or typhoons in the month of August, and 17 of them have hit the nation.
Among those typhoons, 11 had both sea and land alerts issued around the time of Father’s Day.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats