Beijing faces pressure over its island building in the South China Sea during high-level Asian security meetings this week that are to include top US and Chinese diplomats.
China is expanding tiny reefs into islands and topping some with military posts to reinforce its disputed claims over the strategic sea, fanning fears of a regional arms race and possible conflict.
Southeast Asia’s human-trafficking problem and concerns over North Korean missile launches are also expected to be among the issues discussed at the talks in Kuala Lumpur.
However, a senior US Department of State official said the sea row is likely to be at the “center” of the three days of foreign minister meetings starting today, an annual security dialogue hosted by the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
“The ASEAN, like us, are concerned about the scale, the scope, the pace and the implications of China’s reclamation work,” the US official said.
US Secretary of State John Kerry and Chinese Minister of Foreign Affairs Wang Yi (王毅) are to attend the ASEAN Regional Forum, along with foreign ministers from Southeast Asia, Japan, North Korea, South Korea and other nations.
Alongside Taiwan, ASEAN members Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia and Brunei all have various claims to the South China Sea.
However, Beijing claims nearly all of it, and its neighbors complain that the land reclamation violates a regional pledge to avoid provocative actions.
The dialogue is an opportunity for ASEAN and others “to express directly to the Chinese” their concerns, the US official said.
ASEAN has grown increasingly impatient, but Beijing adamantly rejects criticism, claiming “indisputable” sovereignty over nearly all of the waterway, believed to hold important oil and gas reserves.
Washington has warned the tensions could impede freedom of navigation in what is a major route for international trade.
Malaysian Minister of Foreign Affairs Anifah Aman on Friday last week said that there had recently been “important progress” in talks between ASEAN and China toward a “Code of Conduct” (COC) at sea, a set of rules meant to avoid conflict.
However, Aman’s statement seemingly contradicts recent comments made by the Philippine Secretary of Foreign Affairs Albert del Rosario, who last month told a court in The Hague that Beijing had spent years preventing a potential COC deal from being ironed out.
“China’s intransigence in the 13 years of subsequent multilateral negotiations has made that goal nearly unattainable,” Del Rosario told the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
Analysts concur, saying Beijing has long worked to frustrate progress while building up its presence.
“China’s leaders will not sign, or if they sign, they will not abide by an enforceable COC, whose implementation would seriously constrain their freedom to do as they please,” Donald Emmerson, a Southeast Asia expert at Stanford University, wrote.
The “time has come to abandon ASEAN’s entrenched mirage” of a meaningful COC, he said.
Kerry is expected to push hosts Malaysia to step up efforts to fight human trafficking after Washington last week controversially lifted the nation out of the lowest tier in its annual report card on the scourge.
Southeast Asia was seized earlier this year by a refugee crisis after a Thai crackdown on people smuggling left thousands of migrants from Bangladesh and Myanmar stranded at sea. Along with Thailand, Malaysia was found to have brutal trafficking camps on its soil.
Southeast Asian nations blamed Myanmar over the persecution of its Rohingya minority, which drives many into trafficking rings.
It was not clear whether ASEAN member Myanmar would face significant pressure in Kuala Lumpur over the issue.
Kerry is also due to meet with his Turkish counterpart as both sides grapple with the threat posed by the Islamic State group, formerly known as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
There is also a possibility top North Korean and South Korean diplomats could hold a brief and rare meeting.
Perennial tensions between the two nations remain high, with nuclear-capable Pyongyang believed to be preparing a test of a long-range rocket.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats