The procedure Zhongzheng First Precinct police officers employed when arresting students who entered the Ministry of Education complex on Thursday last week was legal and the safety of journalists and bystanders on the scene was duly accounted for, the Taipei Police Department said yesterday.
Dozens of people, mostly high-school students, broke into the ministry compound at about 11:35pm on Thursday to protest changes to high-school curriculum guideline changes and, after a brief occupation of the courtyard, 33 individuals — including 24 students and three reporters — were arrested at about 1am on Friday.
“Precinct Chief Chang Chi-wen (張奇文) personally saw to it that a standard operating procedure was disseminated to all precinct officers and repeatedly exhorted his colleagues to maintain the safety of civilians and evict the protestors in a nonviolent manner,” the department said in a report released yesterday reviewing the operation.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
The department said that about 200 officers were deployed to the scene.
Responding to public criticism suggesting that arresting reporters violated the freedom of the press, the report said that the officers took the reporters into custody because they had not been granted permission to enter the complex.
“The police confirmed that the three had not been granted access to the ministry complex,” the report said.
“The department hereby gives the following clarification: Given the clear violation of the law, there was no reason for police officers not to arrest [the reporters],” it said.
The department also rejected allegations that police officers confiscated mobile phones or cameras and that officers were armed during the arrests, adding that the arrests were made in compliance with the Code of Criminal Procedure (刑事訴訟法) after the ministry decided to take action against the students over their alleged violations of Articles 306 and 354 of the Criminal Code.
“Officers restrained protesters to prevent them from hurting themselves or others,” the report said.
“It was unclear whether officers had gained an advantage over the protesters to keep the situation under control, as such, the officers were not in violation of the principle of proportionality,” it said.
Regarding why there was no media liaison on the scene to facilitate communication with reporters covering the event, the agency said that police officers were handling a crime scene rather than a demonstration, so there was no need for a media contact.
“The ministry building was surrounded with barricades and barbed wire, and reporters should have been working outside the perimeter,” the report added.
The entire operation was carried out in a manner that ensured freedom of the press and guaranteed reporters’ personal safety, which demonstrated that the department had closely adhered to its guidelines promulgated at the beginning of this year on coordinating with media outlets at rallies and demonstrations, the department said.
The department added in the report that it would continue to protect people’s right to protest, and that it would continue enforcing the law in a manner that protects human rights, upholds the law and serves the public’s interests.
Democratic Progressive Party Taipei City Council caucus whip Rosalia Wu (吳思瑤) yesterday said she found the report “unreasonable and unacceptable,” as it failed to address a number of questions, such as whether plastic zip ties used to restrain protesters are considered legal policing equipment, and whether taking the protesters and reporters into custody was really necessary.
Wu said that she expected a municipal government-level investigation report to be released by the Taipei City Government next week to be more comprehensive in addressing the public’s questions.
Additional reporting by Tsai Ya-hua
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats