Two senior New Taipei City police officers yesterday were detained incommunicado and two more were released on bail after being questioned over allegations of involvement in loan sharking and illegally confiscating private property.
Prosecutors detained Criminal Investigation Division senior specialist Chang Ming-wei (張明偉) and Haishan Precinct Captain Chang Wen-hsien (張文賢) to prevent them from fleeing or colluding with others amid a corruption probe that has reached into the upper echelons of the city’s police.
Wensheng Borough (文聖) police station chief Chang Ming-chao (張明朝) and Luzhou District (蘆洲) police station chief Lu Chih-hsiu (呂志修) were freed after posting bail of NT$200,000 (US$6,513) each.
Photo: Hsieh Chun-lin, Taipei Times
The New Taipei City District Prosecutors’ Office raided several locations on Friday last week, and served warrants to take the four officers and 13 other individuals associated with the case into custody for questioning.
Prosecutors said they are investigating the actions of the four men between 2009 and last year.
They allege the four suspects made more than NT$10 million though the questionable ownership of confiscated properties and other activities.
Prosecutors said they plan to file charges of fraud, corruption, forgery, blackmail and profiteering against the suspects.
They said Chang Ming-wei was the alleged ringleader of the group because of his ties with a company specializing in “real-estate management” and underground money-lending in Lujhou District headed by Su Ta-chang (蘇大昌).
Su was convicted last year after being arrested for loan sharking.
Chang Ming-wei reportedly got the other officers to invest as shareholders in Su’s company.
Prosecutors alleged the four abused their authority by backing the loan sharking operation and threatening people who were behind in their loan payments.
The prosecutors said the four threatened and forced clients of Su’s company to sign over their homes and other real estate that had been put up as collateral. They then transferred the homes and property deeds to themselves or family members, prosecutors said.
When victims threatened to report the officers to the police, the suspects allegedly told them: “It is no use, we are police officials … they will not handle your case.”
Several people who were allegedly forced to turn over their property to the four suspects had been left homeless, although some of them had filed civil lawsuits against the suspects.
Prosecutors said that Chang Ming-wei has admitted his full involvement in the scheme, while Lu admitted to engaging in money-lending and debt-collecting.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats