Gao Yu (高瑜), a 71-year-old Chinese journalist who has repeatedly challenged the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) during a decades-long career, was sentenced to seven years in prison yesterday after a court in Beijing found her guilty of leaking state secrets abroad.
Gao said she would appeal, according to her lawyer and her brother, who were in the courtroom.
The Third Intermediate People’s Court announced the verdict nearly five months after Gao stood trial there, a delay that one of her defense lawyers, Mo Shaoping (莫少平), had said was unusual and suggested some indecision about how to handle the case.
Photo: EPA
“This outcome was expected, but we still feel it was wrong not to listen to the defense lawyers’ arguments,” Gao’s younger brother, Gao Wei (高衛), said by telephone after emerging from the court in north Beijing. “I signaled to her and told her to stay well. She said: ‘Don’t worry. I’m going to appeal.’”
Mo confirmed the seven-year prison sentence in a telephone interview.
“She said when she was being led out of the courtroom that she’d definitely appeal,” Mo said.
Gao Yu’s lawyers and supporters have maintained that the charge of leaking state secrets abroad was absurd, even given the Chinese government’s broad definition of “state secrets.”
Mo said that Gao Yu was convicted of disclosing a CCP directive that had already been widely summarized on government Web sites. The directive laid out the party’s plans for an offensive against liberal political ideas and values.
According to Mo, the verdict said that, in July 2013, Gao Yu gave the document to the Mirror Media Group, a Chinese news outlet based in the US. The company, which published the directive, has denied receiving it from her.
“There’s absolutely no basis for the case,” Mirror Media Group chief executive Ho Pin said by telephone from New York after the verdict was announced.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats