The military’s Chief of General Staff Admiral Kao Kuang-chi (高廣圻) is to replace Minister of National Defense Yen Ming (嚴明), who resigned yesterday.
Yen tendered his resignation to President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), citing personal and professional issues, according to the Presidential Office.
The office said that Yen would become a national policy adviser.
Photo: Chien Jung-fong, Taipei Times
The new appointment is scheduled to take effect on Friday, the Presidential Office added.
Yen was quoted by Ministry of National Defense spokesman Major General David Lo (羅紹和) as saying that he had completed his mission and that he wanted to resign from the position to promote younger leadership in the army’s management.
“The minister has expressed many times to the president his intention to step down,” Lo said.
The nation’s military preparedness will continue unabated under Kao’s leadership, Lo added.
“There will not be any concerns or problems regarding the promotion of defense policy,” Lo said of the change.
Kao is a long-time officer who has served in the ministry’s strategic planning and armaments departments. He was also a navy commander.
Kao’s complete resume won him Ma’s approval for the position, the Presidential Office said.
Pundits said that the defense minister’s responsibility to report to the legislature should not be new to Kao, as he has dealt with lawmakers and the media on various major issues, including arms purchases and the ministry’s institutional rearrangement, adding that he had made a profound impression on many legislators.
General Yen De-fa (嚴德發), who established himself in rescue operations following Typhoon Morakot in 2009, is to succeed 63-year-old Kao.
Deputy Minister of Defense General Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) is to succeed Yen as admiral, and Republic of China Air Force Commander Liu Chen-wu (劉震武) is to be the new Deputy Minister of National Defense, the ministry said in a statement. Administrative Deputy Minister of Defense Lieutenant General Shen Yi-ming (沈一鳴) was promoted to the rank of general and named the new air force admiral.
Lo said that the shuffle would not affect the ministry’s operations, as all the officials are familiar with their duties.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats