The crash of TransAsia Airways (復興航空) Flight GE222 outside Magong Airport on Penghu Wednesday evening killed 48 people aboard the plane and injured 10, officials said yesterday.
Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) Director-General Jean Shen (沈啟) said that rescuers had located 48 bodies at the crash site in Sisi Village (西溪), but many of the bodies were not intact.
As of press time last night, CAA Deputy Director-General Lee Wan-lee (李萬里) said the rescuers have yet to confirm the identities of 17 bodies, including that of the pilot, Lee Yi-liang (李義良).
Photo: Lo Pei-der, Taipei Times
Amid questions as to why the flight was allowed to depart from Greater Kaohsiung amid inclement weather conditions, and if such a flight had violated regulations, Lee said the weather information at 7pm on Wednesday showed that the wind was blowing southwest, while the flight path was on a north-south route.
Visibility was 1.6km, with the wind blowing at a speed of 20kph and cloud ceiling of 330 feet (100.5m), Lee said.
Data also showed that winds gust were blowing at 38kph and there was a thundershower of medium intensity in the air as well, he said.
Photo: Pichi Chuang, Reuters
Based on the flight standard set for civilian aircraft, ATR72 aircraft are able to take off and land in such weather, he said.
However, an aircraft’s pilot has the right to decide if they want to land in any given situation, Lee said.
“Even if the weather was fine, the captain could still choose not to land the aircraft if he felt there was something strange with the wind and decided to go around instead,” Lee said. “CAA record shows that a Uni Air (立榮航空) flight had landed at the Magong Airport before the TransAsia crash.”
Photo: Pichi Chuang, Reuters
Lee said he would not speculate if the pilot had experienced deteriorated visibility within a very short period of time, adding that Aviation Safety Council (ASC) investigators would be able to determine the cause of the crash after decoding the information recorded in the flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorder.
CAA data showed that Flight GE222 was circling above Penghu for about 30 minutes before it prepared to land following improved visibility.
Air traffic control personnel said they received a request from the pilot to go around at 7:06pm, but they lost track of the aircraft afterward.
The visibility worsened from 1.6km to 0.8km at 7:10pm.
What happened to the pilot within the four-minute interval is considered key to the investigation.
Both of the plane’s “black boxes” were brought back to Taiwan proper yesterday afternoon.
ASC investigators said that the exterior of the cockpit voice recorder was slightly damaged, but they said that the memory of the device should still be intact. The flight data recorder looked relatively undamaged.
ASC Executive Director Thomas Wang (王興中) said the council is would issue a preliminary result of the plane crash investigation within four weeks, adding that a more detailed report could be produced within three to four months.
Casualties caused by the accident ended the best aviation safety record achievement in the past two decades.
Statistics from the CAA showed last month that the average aviation accident rate was 0.17 times per million flight hours, which was better than the global average of 0.32 times per million flight hours.
TransAsia said that each passenger’s family would receive a preliminary compensation of NT$1 million (US$ 33,360). Civil aviation regulations stipulate compensation for each deceased passenger is NT$3 million, and NT$1.5 million for passengers who suffer major injuries.
Lee said these figures do not include any settlements that might be reached in civil court cases.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats