Minister of the Interior (MOI) Lee Hong-yuan (李鴻源) was forced to leave the Cabinet after declining an offer by Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) to transfer to the position of a minister without portfolio.
Jiang asked Lee to decide whether he would accept the office by midnight on Tuesday, but Lee insisted on returning to academia if he was not allowed to stay on as interior minister.
Executive Yuan Secretary-General Chen Wei-zen (陳威仁) was appointed to succeed Lee, the Executive Yuan said.
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
Lee, who has enjoyed a much higher approval rating than most Cabinet officials, denied that there has been tension between him and Jiang over the past months because of disagreements on various issues, as widely reported in the media.
However, “there had been differences in opinion,” Lee said during a brief press conference in the lobby of the ministry’s building.
“I wanted to finish the projects I’ve started at the ministry, and thought about resigning from my teaching post, but apparently my boss had different considerations,” Lee told reporters.
Executive Yuan spokesperson Sun Lih-chyun (孫立群) said late on Tuesday that Lee had mentioned to Jiang last week that he had to make a decision on whether he would return to his teaching post at National Taiwan University (NTU) in Taipei or resign by the end of the month.
“Lee said that he would resign from the teaching post if the government wanted him to continue to serve as interior minister,” Sun said.
After discussing the matter with President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), Jiang asked Lee if he would like to become a minister without portfolio instead.
Lee turned down the offer, saying that if he could not continue to serve as the interior minister he would rather return to teaching, Sun said.
Jiang told Lee that he could call at any time before midnight on Tuesday if he changed his mind.
Lee did not make that call.
There has long been speculation that Jiang and Lee were not on good terms.
Asked why he turned down the position of minister without portfolio, Lee said his objectives since he took over as the interior minister have always been completing national spatial planning and nationwide disaster prevention projects, “and those are the only things I want to do.”
Lee said that he would return to the NTU as a professor and would not consider running in the upcoming local elections.
The Presidential Office yesterday denied that Ma had met with Jiang on Tuesday to discuss the reshuffle, expressing regret over what it called groundless news reports.
Amid reports about Lee’s problematic relationship with Jiang over his resignation and the Cabinet reshuffle, Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) yesterday confirmed that he met with Ma to discuss the ministry’s failure to appropriate funding for construction of the athlete’s village for the Summer Universiade, and this has delayed the preparatory work on the international sports event the city is scheduled to host in 2017.
People First Party (PFP) Chairman James Soong (宋楚瑜) said that it was a shame Lee was forced to resign because he was someone with exceptional talent who was not afraid to speak his mind and get things done.
Additional reporting by Jake Chung and Shih Hsiu-chuan
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats