China does not deem it appropriate for the leaders on each side of the Taiwan Strait to meet at the APEC forum later this year, Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Minister Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) yesterday in Taipei cited his Chinese counterpart as saying.
During an unofficial meeting on Thursday with China’s Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO) Minister Zhang Zhijun (張志軍) in Shanghai, no consensus was reached on an appropriate setting for a meeting between President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), Wang said.
Zhang was the first to mention the possibility of a Ma-Xi meeting, but declined to accept Taiwan’s suggestion that the two leaders could meet at the APEC forum, Wang said.
Photo: Chien Jung-fong, Taipei Times
“We don’t have any other solutions at present,” Wang said at a press conference in Taipei after returning from a four-day trip to Nanjing and Shanghai, the first-ever visit to China by the top official responsible for Taiwan’s relations with China in an official capacity.
Zhang did not propose any other solutions, Wang said, adding that the two sides did not dwell on the issue, but simply stated their respective positions.
According to an MAC official who was among the dozens of people attending the gathering at Shanghai’s Peace Hotel, Taipei’s position is to hold such a meeting in an appropriate setting and under appropriate conditions, and that the two leaders should also meet in their appropriate capacities.
The APEC forum’s annual top-level meeting would provide an appropriate setting, added the official, who declined to be named.
The next APEC leaders’ summit is scheduled to be held in Beijing in October this year.
Because of China’s objections, Taiwan’s president has been kept away from the annual APEC summit and has had to send an economic official or a retired politician on his behalf.
During the meeting on Thursday, which lasted more than two hours, Zhang referred to Ma as “Mr Ma” and “your leader,” according to Wang, who stressed that he himself referred to Ma only as “the president” during their talks.
Wang yesterday said that a planned regular communication mechanism between top officials in charge of cross-strait affairs will ensure that talks between Taiwan and China will be conducted in a reciprocal and direct manner.
“Cross-strait officials at equal levels of authority can make telephone calls between each other directly to discuss matters under their charge,” he said.
During the historic meeting on Tuesday in Nanjing, where he and Zhang held the first-ever formal meeting of the two sides’ top officials responsible for the bilateral relationship, Wang and Zhang agreed to ensure the establishment of a regular communication mechanism to facilitate quick and efficient communication between the two sides.
Until this week, the governments on the two sides of the Strait have conducted talks through Taiwan’s Straits Exchange Foundation (SEF) and China’s Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits (ARATS), both of which are semi-official bodies.
Communication between the MAC and TAO has actually existed for about six months, Wang said, explaining that the consensus he reached with Zhang was an institutionalization of this practice.
Wang said earlier that their links will not interfere with the channel established between the SEF and ARATS, but will actually complement them.
In related developments, former vice president and former Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) chairman Lien Chan (連戰) is expected to meet with Xi during a visit to Beijing next week.
According to a statement released by Lien’s office, the trip to Beijing from Monday to Wednesday has been organized at the invitation of the Chinese Communist Party.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats