Cambodian military police yesterday opened fire with assault rifles to quell a protest by stone-throwing garment factory workers demanding higher pay in a crackdown a human rights group said killed four people.
Chaos during nationwide strikes erupted for a second day as security forces were deployed to halt a demonstration by thousands of workers, who refused to move and threw bottles, stones and gasoline bombs at an industrial zone in Phnom Penh.
The clash represents an escalation of a political crisis in Cambodia, where striking workers and anti-government protesters have come together in a loose movement led by the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP).
Photo: Reuters
Unions representing disgruntled garment workers have joined opposition supporters protesting against the government of Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen to demand a re-run of an election in July last year that the opposition says was rigged.
Military police confronting the protesters fired live ammunition, journalists said, and bullet casings were later seen scattered across the ground at the scene.
The clashes took place at Canadia Industrial Park, home to dozens of factories that make clothing for Western brands.
Photo: AFP
Human rights group LICADHO described the incident as “horrific” and lambasted military police, adding that their own investigation and surveys of hospitals had found four people were killed and 21 wounded.
“We condemn this appalling use of extreme lethal force by security forces,” LICADHO director Naly Pilorge said in a statement. “Security forces must now put an immediate end to the use of live ammunition against civilians.”
Spokesmen for the national police and military police said they could not verify the number of casualties.
The CNRP, led by former Cambodian finance minister Sam Rainsy, has courted about 350,000 garment workers from nearly 500 factories across the country by promising to nearly double the monthly minimum wage to US$160 if it wins a re-run of the July election, which Hun Sen is refusing to hold.
The government is refusing to raise the wage beyond US$100 a month and has ordered factories to reopen to prevent damage to an industry worth US$5 billion a year.
TAIWANESE FIRMS
Taiwanese garment makers Eclat Textile Co (儒鴻) and Makalot Industrial Co (聚陽) shut down their Cambodian factories for a week starting on Thursday last week and relocated their production to factories in neighboring countries.
The temporary shutdown was suggested by the Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia, the two firms said in filings to the Taiwan Stock Exchange yesterday.
They both said the strike would have little impact on their revenue and earnings.
“We reopened our factories on Jan. 2, and some workers have come back to work. But, we will close the factories again, for the safety reasons, if things turn violent,” Makalot public relations manager Mavis Chiu (邱美惠) said by telephone yesterday.
Makalot made 2.33 million units of apparel in Cambodia in 2012, accounting for 25 percent of its total production for that year, according to the company.
Eclat said its factory shutdown will reduce its production by 140,000 pieces of apparel, but that its clients have agreed to postpone their orders.
Eclat said its production capacity in Cambodia was about 450,000 pieces of apparel a month, accounting for 5 percent of its total production.
Additional reporting by Camaron Kao
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats