Advanced Semiconductor Engineering Inc (ASE, 日月光半導體), the world’s biggest chip packager, yesterday apologized for a leak of toxic wastewater from its biggest plant in Grater Kaohsiung, and said it was undertaking steps to contain the damage.
The company held a press conference yesterday afternoon after one of its factories, known as K7, was fined NT$600,000 (US$20,300) and ordered to suspend operations for contravening the Water Pollution Control Act (水污染防治法).
Greater Kaohsiung’s Environmental Protection Bureau said its investigators found high levels of acidity and nickel in samples of water taken from the factory’s discharge pool and from the Houjin River (後勁溪), into which it empties.
Photo: Chang Chung-i, Taipei Times
Water from the river is used to irrigate hundreds of hectares of paddy fields.
Bureau officials said highly acidic waste water with a pH of 3.02 was discovered being discharged under the Demin Bridge (德明橋) during a water quality inspection along the river on Oct. 1, and the source of the pollution was traced back to ASE’s K7 plant.
Water in the wastewater storage tank in the plant’s basement, which is connected to pipes that discharge the water into the river, was tested and found to exceed all standard levels with a pH of 2.63, 96mg/L suspended solids level, 135mg/L chemical oxygen demand level and 4.38mg/L nickel level.
Photo: CNA
The K7 plant discharges wastewater 24 hours a day, making it the ninth-biggest discharger in the city, and the level of nickel in discharged water was about the same as the wastewater found in the plant, indicating the plant was not treating the water before discharging it, the bureau said.
Bureau Director-General Derek Chen (陳金德) on Monday said that the plant’s management showed malicious intent by trying to use tap water to dilute the highly acid wastewater when the inspectors arrived to conduct tests. Since ASE was fined three times for the same violation last year, the bureau decided to impose the stiffest fine possible and order a halt to the plant’s operations.
The company operates 17 plants in Greater Kaohsiung.
ASE officials told reporters yesterday that employees had been punished for failing to notify the environmental bureau about a hydrochloric acid leak when it occurred on Oct. 1.
To prevent a reoccurrence, ASE chief operating officer Tien Wu (吳田玉) said the firm would step up its monitoring mechanisms and review all of its wastewater treatment facilities.
“It was a one-time incident,” Wu said. “We have adjusted the piping system to avoid releasing the wastewater directly into the wastewater barrels.”
However, ASE officials said the company had not received the suspension order from the bureau, so K7 was continuing to operate.
ASE counts contract chipmaker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) and mobile phone chip supplier MediaTek Inc (聯發科) among its major clients.
The K7 plant, which is ASE’s largest wafer bumping facility for smartphone chips, accounted for 10 percent of ASE’s overall revenue, Credit Suisse analyst Randy Abrams said in a note yesterday.
“Impact on customers and sales should be limited,” Abrams said, adding that ASE needed to respond quickly to restore its reputation.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary