A 60-year-old resident of Dapu Borough (大埔), Miaoli County, whose house was forcibly torn down by the Miaoli County Government in July, was found dead in an irrigation channel near his former home yesterday in the latest in a series of incidents that have drawn attention to the county in recent months.
With family and friends in tears, the body of Chang Sen-wen (張森文) was lifted out of the water by rescuers yesterday afternoon.
“Who killed you? Tell me who killed you?” Chang’s wife, Peng Hsiu-chun (彭秀春), cried out when she saw her husband’s body, while their son, Chang Yuan-hao (張元豪) stood to the side, repeatedly calling out for his father.
Photo: Peng Chien-li, Taipei Times
“I was quite worried when I woke up in the morning and did not see my dad, because he would usually come back home at about 6am — no later than 7am — from his morning walk,” Chang Yuan-hao told reporters in the morning before his father’s body was discovered.
“It was a bit weird, because he had left his wallet and cellphone at home,” he added.
After receiving a telephone call from Chang Yuan-hao at about 10am, the local police station checked surveillance camera footage of the area where the Changs now live, and saw Chang Sen-wen walking southward by himself at about 2:30am.
Photo: Peng Chien-li, Taipei
Searching along the road, the police found his body in an irrigation channel, about 200m from where his demolished house once stood.
Speaking on Chang Sen-wen’s death when asked by the media at a separate setting, Miaoli County Commissioner Liu Cheng-hung (劉政鴻) — who ordered the demolition of the Changs’ house and pharmacy on July 18 — said he was mourning, though only after being reminded of the tragedy by journalists.
“For the, uh, I should say, accident, that happened to Mr Chang, I would say, uh, I would lament it, I would lament it,” Liu said. “As maybe I should say, I mourn his death, I mourn his death, yes, that’s a better term, I mourn his death.”
Despite being rebuffed by the Changs when he asked to visit them, Liu insisted on going to their house to pay his respects to the deceased, leading to clashes between police officers escorting him and supporters of the Changs.
Chanting “Liu the killer,” the crowd pushed Liu and the police out of the house, throwing bottles and shoes at him before slamming the door shut.
Liu left after getting hit by a shoe.
At press time, the police and the prosecutor were still investigating the cause of Chang Sen-wen’s death.
However, netizens and supporters of the Changs have blamed Liu for his death.
Huang Fu-ji (黃福記), a former resident of one of the four homes demolished in July, told reporters that Liu should receive the death penalty and be gunned down.
Chang Sen-wen had been mentally and physically on the edge of collapse since before the forced demolition on July 18.
Two other Dapu residents had committed suicide earlier in protest against the demolitions to make way for a science park.
Additional reporting by Rich Chang
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats