One hour after the 72-hour deadline set by President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) for Manila to answer four demands regarding the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman by Philippines Coast Guard personnel last week, a press conference was held in Taipei with Minister of Foreign Affairs David Lin (林永樂) terming the Philippines' response “positive,” but needing more “clarity.”
Lin held the press conference at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with Manila Economic and Culture Office (MECO) Managing Director Antonio Basilio, who had brought messages for Lin after a 36-hour trip to Manila to discuss the situation with Philippine President Benigno Aquino III.
A half-hour meeting between Lin and Basilio had been scheduled for 8pm last night at the ministry, with a joint press conference scheduled at 8:30pm. Those times came and went and despite the later promise of a pre-midnight press conference by the ministry, negotiations went beyond the 12am deadline, with a press conference eventually being held at 1am today.
Photo: CNA
The diplomatic row was triggered by the death of 65-year-old Hung Shih-cheng (洪石成), on Thursday last week aboard the Taiwanese fishing boat Kuang Ta Hsing No. 28, during a confrontation with a Philippine Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources patrol boat in waters in which the exclusive economic zones of Taiwan and the Philippines overlap.
Ma on Saturday demanded that Manila formally apologize to Taiwan, compensate Huang’s family, uncover the truth behind the incident and begin talks with Taiwan over a fisheries agreement before midnight yesterday or face three punitive measures: a freeze on visa applications, a recall of the Taiwanese representative to the Philippines and Basilio’s expulsion. The countdown began at 12am on Sunday.
In a letter to Lin that he delivered yesterday, Basilio wrote that MECO Chairman Amadeo Perez, who will visit Taiwan today, will “convey the Filipino people’s deep regret and apology to the family of Mr. Hung as well as to the people of Taiwan over the unfortunate loss of life.”
Ma had demanded a government-to-government apology and Lin said the ministry needed to review whether an apology by Perez would meet expectations.
Regarding the demand that the Philippines “compensate” Hung’s family, Basilio said Perez would provide “financial help” to the family. He did not use the term “compensation.”
Lin said the foreign ministry also needed Basilio to confirm that he has the full authorization of the Philippine government.
He said Basilio had promised him that Philippine presidential spokesperson would hold a press conference this morning to confirm that Basilio was fully authorized.
Basilio had offered a public apology to Hung’s family on Friday last week and then visited the family on Saturday, when he apologized again, but that did little to quell nationwide anger over Hung’s death.
The Ministry of National Defense yesterday said the navy was ready to carry out a military exercise in waters south of Taiwan tomorrow with Kidd-class destroyers and Chengkung-class frigates to show Taiwan’s determination to protect its fishermen.
The exercise, to be conducted jointly with the Coast Guard Administration (CGA), was one of the steps announced by the government in response to Hung’s death.
However, the defense ministry said it would not make a final decision until a determination on whether Manila’s response was acceptable.
Defense ministry spokesman Major General David Lo (羅紹和) said the ministry “has many action plans up its sleeve,” and it would act in line with the guidelines of the government.
In other developments, Pingtung District Prosecutors’ Office head Tsai Jung-lung (蔡榮龍) said officials have finished gathering evidence in Taiwan about Hung’s death and were ready to head to the Philippines at any time to conduct further investigations.
He said the government has a list of officials who will be sent to the Philippines, pending Manila’s approval.
The investigators plan to focus on the identity of the people who fired the shots, their motivation, the guns and bullets they used, and the vessel they were on, Tsai said.
Additional reporting by Rich Chang and CNA
This story has been updated since first published.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats