Hundreds of Tibetans and supporters yesterday took to the streets of Taipei to commemorate the 54th anniversary of the 1959 Tibetan Uprising and the 110 Tibetans who have self-immolated to protest against Chinese occupation, while calling for an end to Chinese repression of Tibetans.
“Free Tibet! Tibet belongs to Tibetans! China, get out of Tibet!” demonstrators chanted in Tibetan, Mandarin and English as they marched from Zhongxiao Fuxing MRT station to Taipei 101.
Leading the march was a group dressed as Chinese soldiers escorting tied-up Tibetan monks to re-enact the arrests of monks.
Photo: Chuang Pichi, Reuters
Following the actors were 110 people holding portraits of the 110 Tibetans who have self-immolated since 2009. They lay down on Zhongxiao E Road, near Guangfu S Road, and observed a minute of silence.
“We will never give up pursuing independence for Tibet, because we can only be truly free once Tibet is independent,” Regional Tibetan Youth Congress Taiwan chairman Tenzin Chompel told the crowd. “We will not believe the lies of the Chinese again — from the 17-point peace agreement to the Sino-Tibetan talks, China has never kept its word.”
Chompel was referring to an agreement signed between the Tibetan and Chinese governments in the 1950s, following China’s invasion of Tibet.
In the agreement, China promised to protect Tibetan culture, language, and religion, but, the promises were broken and led to uprisings against Chinese rule and the exile of the Dalai Lama.
Taiwan Tibetan Welfare Association adviser Tashi Tsering said Tibetans do not hate Chinese.
“Tibetans and Chinese are all humans. As long as Chinese respect Tibetans’ rights to our own culture, religion, language and self-determination, we will respect the Chinese as brothers and good neighbors,” he said.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Chairman Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) expressed his support, saying that as a people who had struggled against an authoritarian regime, Taiwanese understand the suffering of Tibetans and would support their struggle for freedom.
“Even today, there is still injustice and we should give each other support until all the repressed are liberated,” Su said.
Some Chinese — including Ao Bo (敖博), lead vocalist of the exiled Chinese rock band Punk God, and students attending universities in Taiwan — also joined the march.
“As a human living on Earth, I am obliged to help Tibetans gain the independence of their country through whatever I can do,” Ao said.
“That’s why this is the sixth time I have taken part in the rally,” he said.
Several DPP politicians, including legislators Hsiao Bi-khim (蕭美琴), Yu Mei-nu (尤美女) and Chen Chieh-ju (陳節如), as well as Taipei City councilors Chien Yu-yen (簡余晏), Alan Lee (李慶鋒) and Hsu Chia-ching (徐佳青), also took part.
“In addition to showing support through taking part in the march, I’ve also proposed a refugee bill granting asylum to Tibetans or other asylum seekers,” Hsiao said. “Unfortunately, it has been blocked since March last year, when I first made the proposal. I hope my colleagues will give me a hand so that we may better protect rights of refugees.”
Near Taipei 101, some Chinese onlookers gave the thumbs-down to the marchers, while police had to force a car driven by a member of a pro-unification organization to pull over and turn off the Chinese communist music that it was blaring out.
Meanwhile, former DPP chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) voiced her support in a message on her Facebook page.
“Our grief for the more than 100 Tibetans who have self-immolated in the past three years is indescribable. As we are free, we should fight for the freedom of those who suffer and make the annual March 10 march a regular element in Taiwan’s social movement,” Tsai wrote.
Former US president John F. Kennedy expressed support for West Germany and people’s rights to pursuit freedom and human rights by saying that he was a Berliner in a speech in 1963, Tsai said.
“Today, the 54th anniversary of the Tibetan Uprising, I offer the same support. I am a Tibetan. We are all Tibetans,” she wrote.
Additional reporting by Chris Wang and J. Michael Cole
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats