A Chinese hitman said to be working for the Taiwanese “Bamboo Union” (竹聯幫) gang was sentenced to life in prison — without chance of parole — by a judge in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Tuesday.
Bai Xiao Ye, 26, a martial arts expert, was convicted of murder, kidnapping, extortion and conspiracy to commit murder. To ensure that Bai never gets out of jail, Judge Michael Villani added 32 to 85 years on top of his life sentence.
According to reports, the court was told that Bai grew up in China, where he was abused as a child by his mother, who hit him with a baseball bat. He emigrated to the US when he was a teenager.
Prosecutors said that Bai then began to work for the Taiwan-based gang, which operates in California and Nevada casinos. They alleged that Bai made his living killing people and that he was a sociopath.
Bai was said to have been sent by the gang to force another Chinese immigrant, Li Wen Jun (李文忠), to pay a US$10,000 gambling debt.
On one occasion, Bai beat Li and made him promise to pay the debt, but when Li failed to pay, Bai tracked him to a karaoke bar near the Las Vegas Strip and stabbed him 32 times in an attack that took place in the early hours of July 2009. Li died from stab wounds to the head and neck. Two other people in the bar were slashed and stabbed by Bai when they tried to help Li.
Bai’s former girlfriend, Pei “Nikki” Pei, was sentenced to two years probation on charges of accessory to murder. She admitted driving Bai to the karaoke bar and gave evidence against him.
Bai has also been charged in California with killing one person and wounding another in a shooting outside a karaoke bar in Los Angeles.
Prosecutors on Tuesday did not know when the California case would go to trial and one source suggested it might be dropped in view of the Nevada sentence.
Speaking through a Mandarin interpreter, Bai broke down and cried as he told the court that he wanted to live in a more “positive” way while in prison.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats