Taipei prosecutors yesterday placed British businessman Zain Dean, convicted of killing a newspaper deliveryman in a hit-and-run accident in 2010, on the wanted list after he was found to have escaped from Taiwan by using a friend’s UK passport in August last year.
The discovery shocked and embarrassed Taiwan’s judiciary agencies and police authorities, as prosecutors only realized he had absconded when he failed to report to prosecutors in September last year to begin his sentence.
It was then they found out that Dean had already departed Taiwan, leaving from Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport on a flight to Bangkok, Thailand, on Aug. 14 last year.
Photo: Liu Chih-yuan, Taipei Times
Officials at the prosecutors’ office said several points need to be cleared up regarding Dean’s escape from the country, including possible dereliction of duty by the National Immigration Agency (NIA). Some individuals may be liable to prosecution to be punishable by law.
As Dean is of Indian origin and has a dark complexion, judiciary authorities said they were incredulous that immigration officials at the airport allowed Dean to pass through the immigration checkpoint, because the friend who lent him the passport to escape is of European descent.
The immigration official who checked Dean’s passport at the airport that day was called in to testify as a witness at the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday.
The British man who allegedly lent Dean his passport, who could be charged with forgery of documents, was also questioned yesterday as a suspect in the case.
In a second ruling handed down in July last year, Dean was sentenced to four years in jail for his involvement in the fatal hit-and-run accident in Taipei in March, 2010.
The court said that after drinking with friends in the early hours of March 25, Dean decided to drive home in his black Mercedes-Benz. On the way, he hit a scooter from behind, killing its rider, Huang Chun-te (黃俊德). Dean then fled the scene, the court said.
Dean has denied involvement in the accident, saying he sat in the passenger seat while a pub worker drove him home.
In response to the news, the victim’s family lambasted the prosecutors and the National Immigration Agency for being “completely absurd.”
“The person who killed my son not only failed to compensate us, but now the prosecutors and the police also let him run away. Who will give us justice?” the victim’s father said.
Separately yesterday, the NIA expressed its regret over the incident and said the responsible officials will be held accountable.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats