President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday promised to hold a referendum before signing any peace agreement with China and stressed that his administration would also leave such a pact aside if China failed to accept his “three noes” policies and the “1992 consensus” as premises of cross-strait peace talks.
Stepping up his efforts to dismiss concerns about unification behind his recent proposal to see a peace deal within a decade, Ma said a peace pact would only be signed with strong domestic support and a public consensus on the issue could be determined either through a referendum or polls.
“If we decided to proceed with the peace agreement, a referendum would be held first to gauge public opinion about the issue, and we won’t sign the agreement if it fails the referendum ... This is to show both our determination and caution in handling such a pact,” Ma told a news conference at the Presidential Office.
Photo: George Tsorng, Taipei Times
When asked about his opposition to holding a referendum on the cross-strait Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement (ECFA) before it was signed in June last year, Ma said a peace pact would have much more of an impact on society than the ECFA, and added that referendums, despite doubts about how representative of public opinion they are, remain a major means to reflect public opinion.
Before signing the ECFA with China, Ma and the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) rejected the idea of a referendum on the pact despite calls from the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and many civil groups, who warned that the agreement would promote unification.
Stressing the economic nature of the ECFA, Ma said holding a referendum was time-consuming and expensive, and that only issues of great importance, such as those involving Taiwan’s sovereignty, need be put to a plebiscite.
Ma denied his peace pact proposal would lead to political negotiations on unification or independence, and said his “three noes” policy — no unification, no independence and no use of force — and the “1992 consensus” — which he said refers to “one China, with each side having its own interpretation” — would remain the most important principles in promoting cross-strait relations.
“If the mainland refuses to accept our principles, then we will put the peace agreement on hold ... We don’t have to sign the agreement within the next decade, and there’s no timetable for such a pact,” Ma said.
Signing a peace agreement with China was one of the proposals Ma outlined for what he calls a “golden decade,” one of the planks in his re-election campaign platform. The proposed peace talks, mentioned by Ma on Monday, drew criticism from the DPP, with DPP Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) accusing him of risking Taiwan’s sovereignty and democratic values.
She also cited the 1951 deal between Tibet and China as an example of Beijing’s lack of credibility when it comes to peace pacts, warning that such an agreement could have serious consequences for the nation.
However, Ma yesterday said that China had treated Tibet as a province when it signed the 1951 pact, and that situation would not apply to Taiwan, which is a sovereign nation.
“It is a ridiculous comparison and Chairperson Tsai did not know what she was saying ... I urge [her] not to make such unbecoming comments,” he said.
He also said that Tsai was -flip-flopping on the question of a peace agreement, saying that as former vice chairperson of the Mainland Affairs Council she supported the establishment of a cross-strait mechanism to promote cross-strait peace eight years ago.
“It’s unfair and unreasonable that some people intentionally distort our efforts to seek sustainable peace across the Taiwan Strait,” he said.
Meanwhile, in Tianjin, China, where the latest round of cross-strait talks are taking place, Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Straits Deputy Chairman Zheng Lizhong (鄭立中) said ending cross-strait hostility and signing a peace agreement “have been the common wish of compatriots from both sides of the Strait.”
His comments were in response to press queries about China’s reaction to Ma’s peace pact proposal.
Cross-strait negotiators in Tianjin are focusing on cooperating on nuclear safety in this round of talks.
Additional reporting by CNA
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats