Major hospitals yesterday temporarily suspended use of the prescription antibiotic Augmentin, which is manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline PLC, following reports that tests had confirmed the presence of a banned chemical.
The news came after a TV news station recently sent samples of the antibiotic, which is produced and packaged in the UK, for laboratory testing, where it was discovered that the medicine tested positive for diisodecyl phthalate, or DIDP, at levels of between 14.8 parts per million (ppm) and 18.1ppm.
DIDP is one of six chemicals that have been banned from use in food and beverages by the Department of Health, along with di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP), di-isononyl phthalate (DINP), di-nbutyl phthalate (DBP), di-n-octyl phthalate (DNOP) and butylbenzyl phthalate (BBP).
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
Since news emerged that the potentially harmful chemicals had been found in food additives, the department as of May 31 has required manufacturers of five categories of foods and beverages — sports drinks, juice, teas, fruit jams and syrups, as well as tablets and powders — to provide certificates showing their products are free of the six chemicals.
Augmentin is commonly used to treat respiratory tract, urinary, abdominal and dental infections.
Questions have been raised as to whether a strawberry-flavored version of the drug, which is often prescribed to children, might have been contaminated by the artificial strawberry flavoring, as major jam manufacturers have recently been under investigation for using materials containing banned chemicals as fixative agents to keep flavoring and fragrances smelling fresh.
Food and Drug Administration Director-General Kang Jaw-jou (康照洲) yesterday said the department had sent samples of Augmentin for laboratory testing and that official results would be available in one or two days.
In the meantime, Kang advised those who may have taken the drug not to panic, as DIDP levels of 14.8ppm to 18.1ppm were still under the tolerable daily intake and would not pose a health risk.
Pending further test results to confirm the contamination, major hospitals including National Taiwan University Hospital, Mackay Memorial Hospital, Taipei General Veterans Hospital and Cathay General Hospital have temporarily halted use of the medicine.
Meanwhile, Department of Health Minister Chiu Wen-ta (邱文達) said that as of today, manufacturers and stores found selling contaminated food products would be forced to close.
Businesses found adding banned chemicals or contaminated ingredients from Yu Shen Chemical Co and Pin Han Perfumery Co to food would be severely punished and have their licenses revoked, Chiu said.
Retailers that sell products in the five categories of food products without certification that they are free of banned chemicals, as well as manufacturers who refuse to disclose the source of their ingredients when inspected, would also be told to shut down, he said.
Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) has also accepted a request by the Democratic Progressive Party to brief the legislature on the government’s response to the food scandal.
In related news, the Consumers’ Foundation encouraged customers who have consumed tainted food and beverages, and suffered financial losses or health problems as a result, to register with the foundation, which plans to meet major manufacturers in the food industry that have been found to use contaminated products to discuss establishing a consumer protection fund.
The foundation said it hoped to meet next week with food and beverage companies to negotiate levels of compensation and methods of payment for victims of the tainted products, which would be managed in the form of a special fund designated for consumer protection.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CNA
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats