President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) apologized in person to the public yesterday for failing to consider public opinion in his nomination of Supreme Court Judge Shao Yen-ling (邵燕玲) to the Council of Grand Justices and denied having prior knowledge of her controversial ruling in a sexual assault case.
The president insisted that during their meeting on Monday, Shao had not told him that she was the chief judge of the case that involved a three-year-old girl, and said he would not have nominated Shao if he had been aware of her involvement in the controversial case.
“I want to apologize again for the nomination process … The process was not thorough because we only considered the nominees’ expertise and integrity. The government should never break away from public opinion and social perception,” Ma said in a press conference at the Presidential Office.
Photo: Lo Pei-der, Taipei Times
Ma’s personal apology yesterday came after he and Vice President Vincent Siew (蕭萬長) issued a statement late on Thursday night apologizing for the controversial nomination.
On Thursday morning, Ma named Tang Te-tsung (湯德宗) as the alternative nominee for the Council of Grand Justices, after Shao issued a press statement earlier that morning saying she had decided not to accept the nomination.
Shao caused a stir last year when she overruled a Taiwan High Court verdict in a sexual assault case on the grounds that the court could not prove a three-year-old girl had been sexually assaulted against her will because she had not resisted strongly enough.
The ruling prompted a group of Internet users to initiate the “White Rose Movement” last year, and tens of thousands of protesters joined a large-scale rally that called for the dismissal of judges they consider unsuitable and for legal revisions to provide better protection for -children and people with disabilities against sexual assault.
Shao came from a breed of “dinosaur judges” that needed to be replaced, the critics said.
Siew, who led the task force responsible for examining the nominees’ qualifications, also joined Ma at the press conference yesterday and apologized again for failing to provide sufficient information to Ma.
According to Siew, the task force spent 18 days collecting a list of 32 potential candidates and then Ma spent several days picking four nominees.
Judicial Yuan President Rai Hau-min (賴浩敏) yesterday also publicly apologized for recommending Shao for a seat on the council.
Rai said he knew Shao was responsible for the controversial ruling, but still included her on the nomination list because he saw Shao as “qualified talent” and that it was difficult to find a female nominee.
“I put too much emphasis on her experience and expertise and did not think the case would be an obstacle in the nomination process. I apologize for failing to consider public perception and causing trouble for the task force,” he said at the joint press conference.
When asked whether the Presidential Office replaced Shao only to resolve growing public criticism, Ma said members of the Grand Justice Council should know more than making judgments in accordance of laws.
“The judiciary should be independent, but not autocratic. We should always consider public perception, otherwise we won’t make any progress as a society,” he said.
Ma said he would instruct the Presidential Office’s secretary--general to adjust the nomination process, but declined comment when asked whether anyone should be held responsible.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats