Former premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) yesterday formally announced his bid for the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) nomination for next year’s presidential election.
Surrounded by about 500 supporters in Taipei City, the former commissioner of Pingtung and Taipei counties emphasized his experience and outlined a plan to tackle what he said were the nation’s main problems — youth unemployment, rising deficits and an aging society.
“We have lost our way. Taiwan has been floating in the open sea,” Su said. “We need a strong leader during times like this, a helmsman who is of strong will.”
Photo: CNA
Su’s address highlighted his administrative experience and ties with rural communities.
“Using my love for this land and my life of experience, I will compete for the DPP nomination and win next year’s presidential election,” he said. “I’ll lead the country to a more prosperous, fair, safe and hopeful future.”
A key election theme, he said, would be changing the country to one “where everyone has a smile on their face.”
The former premier vowed to also deal with sustainable development and national land reform, calling them pressing issues that would increase Taiwan’s competitiveness.
On cross-strait relations, he said that while it was impossible to ignore China, the world’s second-largest economy, “democracy and human rights are values that cannot be put up for sale.”
Next year’s election is seen as potentially the last battle for Su, 63, who is seeking to reverse two election setbacks, first as a vice presidential candidate in 2008 and then in a bid for Taipei City mayor last year.
He will face stiff competition for the DPP nomination from Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文), who announced her bid on March 11 and temporarily stepped down as party chairperson to focus on her campaign.
Both have expressed willingness to compromise, but it is unclear what sort of deal could be brokered.
In a sign of what could amount to a tightly fought race, more than a dozen city councilors, legislators, county commissioners and mayors took part in his announcement, suggesting wide support for Su’s campaign.
“We all admired his performance in Pingtung County [as commissioner]. He has talent and we are here to give him our support,” Pingtung County Commissioner Tsao Chi-hung (曹啟鴻) said.
Also present at the announcement was Greater Tainan Mayor William Lai (賴清德), who missed Tsai’s announcement because of what he called a schedule conflict.
Former premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷), who had missed Tsai’s event, was also absent yesterday.
Su’s running mate in 2008, Hsieh told a radio show yesterday he believed the former premier’s bid was “a bit unexpected.”
Most people believe Tsai’s poll numbers were higher and that Su “should not register,” Hsieh said.
The presidential campaign is expected to be critical for Su, who has made no attempt to hide his intentions for an eventual bid for the nation’s top post since losing in the Taipei mayoral election last November.
Recent opinion polls have shown Su and Tsai to be in a virtual tie. Both have been canvassing nationwide since the November special municipality elections.
The DPP is believed to be planning on holding a round of informal telephone polls in the next few weeks to give trailing candidates a convincing reason to back down before formal polling begins between April 25 and April 29.
Su has proposed a handshake agreement that would see the trailing candidate in the informal polls concede their campaign, but it is unclear whether Tsai has accepted the proposal.
Su was considered an early favorite for the presidential nomination before last year, despite failing to clinch the party nominations against Hsieh in 2008.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats