Japan said yesterday it would free a Chinese fishing boat captain whose arrest in disputed waters over two weeks ago sparked the worst row in years between the Asian giants.
Prosecutors cited the deepening rift between Beijing and Tokyo in their decision to release the captain, who was arrested after his boat collided with two Japanese Coast Guard vessels in the East China Sea.
“Considering the impact on Japan’s people and the Japan-China relationship, we decided it would not be worth continuing detaining and investigating the captain,” Naha district deputy chief prosecutor Toru Suzuki said.
The Chinese captain, Zhan Qixiong (詹其雄), 41, had acted on the spur of the moment and not committed a premeditated criminal act, and he had no prior criminal record in Japan, Suzuki said in a televised press conference.
A charter plane was expected to arrive in Okinawa at about midnight last night to pick him up and return him to China, Jiji Press reported yesterday.
The top spokesman for Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan, who was at the UN General Assembly in New York, said the decision was taken by prosecutors alone and not because of political pressure, but the conservative opposition was quick to lash out at what it saw as a loss of face for Japan.
“It was an extremely foolish decision,” former Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe of the Liberal Democratic Party said, Jiji Press reported. “It was clear as day that it was an intrusion into [Japan’s] territorial waters. Japanese politics caved in to pressure from China.”
The row started when the captain was arrested on Sept. 8 after his trawler collided with two patrol boats near the disputed Diaoyutai Islands (釣魚台).
The collisions caused no injuries, but the diplomatic damage was severe.
In the ensuing row, China issued a series of harsh diplomatic protests, summoned Japan’s ambassador Uichiro Niwa six times, once after midnight, and canceled official visits, energy talks and joint cultural events.
On Sept. 13, Japan released the ship’s 14 Chinese crew and allowed them to fly home.
Amid the row, traders said China has also blocked exports of rare earth metals — used in products from iPods to electric cars — to Japan, a claim Beijing has denied.
Further ramping up tensions, China this week detained four Japanese nationals who were working on a bid for a project to clear up chemical weapons left from the Japanese occupation before and during World War II.
Japan has pressed for diplomatic access to its four, who were detained in Hebei Province for entering a restricted military zone and “illegally filming defense targets,” Xinhua news agency reported.
Their employer, construction company Fujita, said they had been visiting the city of Shijiazhuang, but had been out of contact since one of their staff had text-messaged the single word “help” on Tuesday.
Also See: ASEAN will ‘stand as a bloc’ against China, Aquino says
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary