Clashes erupted yesterday as environmental activists tried to observe a meeting at the Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) to review the Central Taiwan Science Park’s Phase-3 zone development.
Scores of environmental activists first protested by pounding on the windows of the conference room where the meeting was being held, accusing the agency of trying to settle the dispute in secret. When some of the activists tried to break through a police cordon, they were blocked and several were carried away by police officers.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Tien Chiu-chin (田秋堇) spoke in support of the environmentalists and asked the meeting’s chairman, Lee Ching-chang (李俊璋) of National Chang Kung University, to let the protesters observe the session.
PHOTO: LIAO CHEN-HUEI, TAIPEI TIMES
“The Environmental Protection Administration should not be a tool used by the Executive Yuan to hide its shame,” Tien said. “It [not letting the activists enter] will only make people despise the environmental impact assessment system.”
In January, the Supreme Administrative Court ruled against the EPA’s Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) review of development of the science park’s Phase-3 zone in Houli Township (后里), Taichung County. The EPA had approved the plans.
The Taipei High Administrative Court ruled last month that construction work at the park’s Phase-4 zone in Erlin Township (二林), Changhua County, had to be stopped until further EIAs were conducted and approved.
The EPA and National Science Council, the agencies that oversee development at the nation’s science parks, appealed the cases to the Supreme Administrative Court on Monday. While agreeing to stop work on the infrastructure of the two sites, they said they would not shut down companies that had already begun production or were building their plants at Houli.
Lee intially turned down Tien’s request, although he later allowed some of the activists to enter the meeting room and give their opinions. A representative from Houli’s Gongguan Village (公館) knelt down and begged the EPA to stop operations at the Central Taiwan Science Park.
The protesters said that any development at Cising Farm (七星農場) in the Phase-3 zone should stop immediately. The EPA should order AU Optronics (友達光電) and Sunner Solar (旭能光電) — two companies in the Phase-3 zone — to stop operations and any construction there. If the companies refuse, the EPA should fine them NT$1.5 million a day each, the activists said. The developer of the Phase-3 zone should also have to redo the environmental impact assessment, they said.
Meanwhile, Cabinet officials said allowing AU Optronics and Sunner Solar to continue their operations was “legally defensible.”
Minister Without Portfolio Kao Su-po (高思博) told a press conference the government “had not distorted the rulings,” but had made its decision to allow the companies to proceed “in accordance with the text of the Taipei High Administrative Court.”
The court ruled development work in Phase-3 and Phase-4 must be suspended, but “the ruling did not extend to firms operating in the park, neither did it mention if their operations should be suspended,” Kao said.
When asked if the ruling demanded the Central Taiwan Science Park Development Office stop issuing planning permission, Kao said that the ruling prohibited the office from issuing new planning permission, but “did not have retroactive effect on the operational licenses that had already been issued to the two firms.”
Deputy Minister of Justice Wu Chen-huan (吳陳鐶) told the press conference that the decision to allow the two firms to continue operations was legally sound.
“If the Supreme Administrative Court disagrees, it can force a halt to the operations of the two firms,” he said. “Officials will not be held responsible [for allowing the firms to continue operations].”
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats