Ministry of National Defense (MND) officials said yesterday an extraordinary appeal might be launched to reopen the case of a soldier executed for the murder and rape of a five-year old girl.
Chiang Kuo-ching (江國慶), who was serving in the air force at the time, was found guilty after a month-long investigation and sentenced to death in 1996 after a girl, surnamed Hsieh, was found dead at an air force base in Taipei City.
Chiang’s family and supporters have long maintained his innocence and said that the speedy trial and execution was the result of pressure put on the military by government officials to solve the case within a set timeframe.
The ministry’s comments came after the Control Yuan on Wednesday censured the ministry over the case, saying there were seven major flaws in the military trial.
Speaking in the legislature, Deputy Minister of National Defense Andrew Yang (楊念祖) said that the ministry was looking into filing an appeal, pending the full text of the Control Yuan’s report, which he said it had yet to receive.
“We will handle this issue cautiously. Everything will be done according to procedure,” Yang said in response to questions as to whether Chiang’s family would be entitled to compensation if the sentence were to be overturned.
In its report, the Control Yuan also suggested that the crime was committed by a former airman surnamed Hsu (?and said they suspected Hsu was also involved in another unsolved case in December the same year when another five-year girl, surnamed Lin, was found impaled with a bamboo spear.
Hsu has been in jail since 2003 after being convicted for the kidnap and sexual abuse of two girls while on parole in 2001, after a 1997 sentence for raping a six-year-old girl was commuted.
The Control Yuan members said Hsu was scheduled to be released in November.
Control Yuan members Ma Yi-kung (馬以工), Yang Mei-ling (楊美玲) and Shen Mei-chen (沈美真) called a press conference on Wednesday to announce their findings.
The Control Yuan recommended that the Prosecutors’ Office of the Military Supreme Court lodge an extraordinary appeal and conduct a retrial.
The government watchdog also said that Prosecutor General Huang Shih-ming (黃世銘) and the Ministry of the Interior should instruct prosecutors and the National Police Agency to reopen an investigation into the case.
Chiang was charged with raping Hsieh at air command on Sept. 12, 1996, and executed on Aug. 13 the next year.
One of the flaws found by the Control Yuan members was that former defense minister Chen Chao-min (陳肇敏), who was the commander-in-chief of the Air Force at the time, referred the case to the counterintelligence agency instead of the judiciary, which violated the Code of Court Martial Procedure (軍事審判法).
“First, there were no military rules or regulations that entitled the counterintelligence agency to exert military jurisdiction,” Ma said.
“[That agency] extracted a confession from [Chiang] by illegal measures,” Ma said.
“For example, he was imprisoned and asked leading questions in a 37-hour-long interrogation session … The corroborative evidence supporting the guilty verdict was a contaminated tissue found in a trash can that had not been cleaned for three days,” Ma said.
Chiang wrote in notes he kept while in prison that he was threatened with an electronic baton, exposed to strong lights and forced to undergo physical activities all night during questioning, the Control Yuan’s report said.
“We learned from an assessment report conducted by the Ministry of Justice’s Investigation Bureau that the DNA of a pubic hair found on the girl’s right thigh did not match that of Chiang,” Yang said.
“The military made no mention of this justice ministry report at the time,” Yang said.
The case was addressed by the Control Yuan after years of effort by Chiang’s father, who made the first appeal 14 years ago.
“If it had been reviewed in line with procedural justice, this regrettable miscarriage of justice could have been avoided,” Ma said.
The Control Yuan’s investigation report suggested that Hsu was involved in the crime.
“It was not for us to say who the killer is, but the evidence we have gathered shows Hsu is a suspect,” Ma said.
The Control Yuan report said that while being questioned about the attack on Lin, Hsu confessed to the crime against Hsieh two months before Chiang was convicted, giving a clear account of the girl’s clothing and details of the crime.
Lin, who was also five, was found suffering after being impaled on a bamboo spear.
She survived the incident, but died last year from complications from her intestinal injuries.
The Lin case remains unsolved after Hsieh Chien-mao (謝振茂), who was originally charged with the crime, cleared his name in a Supreme Court trial in January.
Ma said that the Control Yuan found the military’s handling of the Hsieh case unusual.
Upon receiving the allegations that Hsu may have been involved in the case, the military had Hsu undergo a psychiatric examination before concluding that he was mentally retarded.
The military ruled this made his confession invalid, Ma said.
Opposition party lawmakers yesterday directed criticism at the former defense minister.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Tsai Huang-liang (蔡煌瑯), who said that Chiang came to him for help at the time, said that Chen did not have the proper authority to investigate the case that ultimately led to Chiang’s conviction and execution.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary