The Ministry of National Defense (MND) said yesterday that any hope of implementing cross-strait military confidence-building measures were being hampered by China's refusal to withdraw or destroy missiles aimed at Taiwan.
“This issue is complicated,” Vice Admiral Lee Hsi-ming, director of the ministry's Military Strategy Planning Department, told a press conference in Taipei to mark the release of its biennial defense policy paper.
The removal of the missiles and confidence-building measures are key parts of President Ma Ying-jeou's (馬英九) cross-strait strategy for improving relations with a view to eventually signing a peace agreement.
Asked whether Taiwan has started talking with China on the establishment of such a mechanism, he said: “There is no timetable yet.”
However, the military has been conducting studies and surveys in this area to prepare for future talks, he said, including establishing a hot line between Taipei and Beijing and signing a pact to limit the deployment of military personnel and equipment against each other.
“We have not been able to make progress because China has not given up ... the notion of using force against Taiwan,” the ministry said, adding that China had continued to hold exercises aimed at preparing its troops to invade Taiwan.
“China has increased the frequency of its military exercises to pressure us since October 2008, when the US government announced the sale of an arms package to us,” the report said.
China has deployed at least 1,300 missiles at coastal military bases targeting Taiwan, “including short-range ballistic and cruise missiles ... by the Communist forces at their Nanjing and Guangzhou military bases,” it added.
Asked whether the ministry was up to date on the exact number of Chinese missiles, Intelligence Department Deputy Director Kao Chung-bang (高中邦) said it was classified information.
“The MND is fully aware of the latest situation, but we cannot make detailed information public,” Kao said.
Kao said Chinese missiles were also a major threat and concern for the US and Japan as the Chinese military continued to upgrade and develop new ones.
The Chinese air force also has more than 700 fighters based within 1,000km of Taiwan, the report said.
It said some of the fighters are equipped with airborne refueling facilities that can be used to extend their combat duration.
China's navy has been boosted by the introduction of nuclear-powered attack submarines and major combat vehicles armed with medium-range ballistic missiles capable of striking moving targets at sea.
“The purpose is to deter or delay foreign aircraft carriers coming to the rescue of Taiwan should war break out in the Strait,” it said.
While the report did not identify this “foreign force,” the only nation likely to send carriers to Taiwan in a war scenario is the US.
Meanwhile, the ministry denied a report by the military periodical Defense News that a submarine procurement team based in Washington could be disbanded as chances of Taiwan procuring submarines has diminished.
“I hereby clarify that the team remains functional and we have no intention of disbanding it anytime soon,” ministry spokesman Major General Yu Sy-tue (虞思祖) said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats