North Korean leader Kim Jong-il expressed willingness to engage in “bilateral and multilateral talks,” a news report said yesterday, a strong indication the country could rejoin stalled negotiations aimed at ending its nuclear weapons programs.
North Korea has insisted on one-on-one talks with the US over its nuclear programs since April, when it pulled out of six-nation negotiations involving the two Koreas, the US, China, Russia and Japan.
Washington, which has consistently called for North Korea to resume those negotiations, is nevertheless studying whether to engage in direct talks, saying they could help get the North back to the six-nation table.
China, North Korea’s principal ally, has hosted the disarmament talks since 2003.
“North Korea would like to solve relevant issues through bilateral and multilateral talks,” Xinhua news agency quoted Kim telling an envoy sent by Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤).
Kim also told the envoy, Dai Bingguo (戴秉國), that North Korea “is committed to safeguarding peace and stability on the Korean peninsula,” the news agency reported from the North Korean capital, Pyongyang.
North Korea has said it cannot give up its nuclear arsenal as long as the US continues with what it says is a “hostile policy” and plans for a nuclear attack. Washington denies it has any hostile intentions.
In a letter Dai handed to Kim, Hu reiterated Beijing’s stance that the Korean peninsula should be denuclearized and said China is ready to spare no efforts to work with North Korea to realize that goal, Xinhua said.
South Korean Foreign Ministry spokesman Moon Tae-young declined to comment on Kim’s reported remarks.
Dai and top Chinese nuclear envoy Wu Dawei (武大偉) returned to Beijing later yesterday, North Korea said.
Yesterday’s meeting came as the US studies a recent proposal by North Korea for direct talks with Washington on its nuclear weapons programs.
US State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said on Thursday the US would “make some judgments in the very near future” on the bilateral talks offer after consultations with other countries.
South Korea says it does not oppose direct US-North Korea talks if they are aimed at resuming the six-party talks, but South Korean officials, including President Lee Myung-bak, have cautioned against any hasty optimism, saying North Korea has shown no willingness to disarm.
They say recent conciliatory gestures by the North — including a resumption of joint projects with South Korea and the release of US and South Korean detainees — came because it feels the pain of UN sanctions on its weapons exports and financial dealings that were imposed after it conducted a nuclear test in May.
Earlier yesterday, South Korean Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan said North Korea’s calls for direct talks with Washington were related to its strategy to gain international recognition of its possession of nuclear weapons.
“The reason North Korea is repeatedly insisting on direct talks is because it wants to be recognized as a nuclear state in order to proceed with arms reduction talks with the US,” Yu said in a speech at the Korea Chamber of Commerce, his office said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats