Hundreds of Hong Kong journalists, lawmakers and residents marched yesterday to protest the alleged police beatings of three reporters covering recent unrest in western China, and demanded a government investigation.
Demonstrators wearing black rallied outside a police station before marching to local offices of China’s central government.
Organizers and police estimated the crowd at 650 to 700 people.
“This time the authorities are over the line,” Mak Yin-ting (麥燕婷), chairwoman of the Hong Kong Journalists Association, told the gathering. “They did not only beat reporters, but blamed them for inciting the public disorder.”
The TV journalists were covering the aftermath of a mass protest by the majority Han Chinese in the troubled city of Urumqi earlier this month after a series of needle attacks that China’s government blames on Muslim separatists.
The three journalists, who worked for TVB and Now TV news outlets in Hong Kong, said they were kicked, punched and shoved to the ground by police before being detained for about three hours.
However, Xinjiang authorities who investigated the matter have said security personnel repeatedly asked the reporters to leave before they were detained and faulted the reporters for “instigating” the unrest — allegations the reporters’ companies say are false.
“We condemn the cruel treatment in no uncertain terms,” said Tom Mitchell, president of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Hong Kong.
Attempts to reach central government representatives in Hong Kong were unsuccessful, and phone calls to the information office of the regional government in Xinjiang rang unanswered.
Unlike mainland China, the former British colony is promised Western-style civil liberties and is home to a vibrant press known for its aggressive, uncensored coverage of the rest of China.
Hong Kong lawmakers, including members of the territory’s pro-Beijing party, have also criticized Xinjiang authorities and made public pleas for Beijing’s intervention.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats