Heavy flooding is affecting some 350,000 people across West Africa, killing at least 25 in Ghana and seven in Burkina Faso, UN officials said on Friday.
The most badly affected appears to be Burkina Faso, where 110,000 have been forced to flee their homes, mainly in the capital, Ouagadougou.
On Friday, a seven-member assessment team from the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) was expected to arrive in Ouagadougou. The country’s main hospital is three-quarters flooded, requiring early discharges and massive evacuations of patients, some with infectious diseases.
Benin, too, has been flooded since July, and a UN team was there assessing its needs. Also hard hit are the Western African nations of Guinea, Niger and Senegal.
Elisabeth Byrs, spokeswoman for OCHA in Geneva, Switzerland, said the amount of rain that fell on Thursday in Ouagadougou equaled a quarter of all Burkina Faso’s typical annual rainfall.
“It was a deluge, but you also have Ghana, where 25 people died from the bad weather and from the floods,” she told UN Radio. “The death toll is likely to increase in the coming days.”
In Burkina Faso, Minister of Social Welfare Pascaline Tamini said on state radio on Wednesday that she expected the number of people affected to grow significantly in the coming hours. Burkinan President Blaise Compaore appealed to the international community for help.
Flood damages in the nation had risen to US$152 million as of Friday, Burkinan Prime Minister Tertius Zongo said.
That included a dam destroyed and 12 bridges damaged in Ouagadougou and a dam destroyed in the northern Sahel region.
The rain in Ouagadougou last week was the worst in recent memory, but heavy rain two years ago caused flooding throughout the country, killing 84 people and displacing 146,000.
Local authorities have been forced to open the main gate of a hydroelectric dam in the Volta River basin, near the Ghana border, threatening people in both countries with additional flooding, the UN said.
When the state-run electricity company opened the dam’s gate on Friday morning, the water was less than 8cm from reaching the dam’s capacity, said Venance Bouda, the firm’s director of hydroelectric power.
“Even when we operate normally and release water, some people drown while crossing [the river] downstream,” Bouda said. “Cultivated land on the reservoir’s shores and further upstream will be flooded. We warn riverside residents to stay away from the shores.”
It is only the sixth time since the dam was built in 1994 that it has had to be opened — an instance two years ago caused flooding in parts of northern Ghana.
Ghanaian officials told the UN they had less than a day’s notice before the gate was opened, but that no one could have expected the rainfall to fill the reservoir so quickly.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications yesterday inaugurated the Danjiang Bridge across the Tamsui River in New Taipei City, saying that the structure would be an architectural icon and traffic artery for Taiwan. Feted as a major engineering achievement, the Danjiang Bridge is 920m long, 211m tall at the top of its pylon, and is the longest single-pylon asymmetric cable-stayed bridge in the world, the government’s Web site for the structure said. It was designed by late Iraqi-British architect Zaha Hadid. The structure, with a maximum deck of 70m, accommodates road and light rail traffic, and affords a 200m navigation channel for boats,
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電), the world’s largest foundry service provider, yesterday said that global semiconductor revenue is projected to hit US$1.5 trillion in 2030, after the figure exceeds US$1 trillion this year, as artificial intelligence (AI) demand boosts consumption of token and compute power. “We are still at the beginning of the AI revolution, but we already see a significant impact across the whole semiconductor ecosystem,” TSMC deputy cochief operating officer Kevin Zhang (張曉強) said at the company’s annual technology symposium in Hsinchu City. “It is fair to say that in the past decade, smartphones and other mobile devices were
US-CHINA SUMMIT: MOFA welcomed US reassurance of no change in its Taiwan policy; Trump said he did not comment when Xi talked of opposing independence US President Donald Trump yesterday said he has not made a decision on whether to move forward with a major arms package for Taiwan after hearing concerns about it from Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平). Trump’s comments on Taiwan came as he flew back to Washington after wrapping up critical talks in which both leaders said important progress was made in stabilizing US-China relations even as deep differences persist between the world’s two biggest powers on Iran and Taiwan. “I will make a determination,” Trump said, adding: “I’ll be making decisions. But, you know, I think the last thing we need right
TAIWAN ISSUE: US treasury secretary Scott Bessent said on the first day of meetings that ‘it wouldn’t be a US-China summit without the Taiwan issue coming up’ There were no surprises on the first day of the summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平), the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said yesterday, as the government reiterated that cross-strait stability is crucial to the Asia-Pacific region, as well as the world. As the two presidents met for a highly anticipated summit yesterday, Chinese state media reported that Xi warned Trump that missteps regarding Taiwan could push their two countries into “conflict.” Trump arrived in China with accolades for his host, calling Xi a “great leader” and “friend,” and extending an invitation to visit the White House