Chinese leaders removed the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) chief of the restive western city of Urumqi yesterday, trying to appease public anger following sometimes violent protests this week that the government worries could re-ignite deadly ethnic rioting.
Xinhua news agency, in announcing the decision, did not give a reason for the firing of Li Zhi (栗智), but protesters who marched in their thousands on Thursday and Friday have demanded Li and his boss be dismissed for failing to provide adequate public safety in the city.
A series of stabbings with hypodermic needles that the government blames on Muslim separatists touched off the protests, which left five dead, and further unnerved the city, which is still uneasy following rioting in July that the government says killed 197, mostly members of China’s Han majority attacked by Muslim Uighurs.
Trying to get control of the situation, leaders replaced Li with Zhu Hailun (朱海倫), who has been the party’s top official in charge of law enforcement in Urumqi. Also sacked, Xinhua said, was an official in the police department for Xinjiang, China’s western-most region that abuts Central Asia and whose capital is Urumqi. The official’s name was not released.
Besides assuaging public anger, the Chinese leadership hopes that sacking Li will alleviate calls to remove Xinjiang party secretary Wang Lequan (王樂泉), a member of the ruling Politburo and an ally of President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤).
Both Li and Wang took visible roles in trying to defuse the protests, separately wading into crowds to meet with protesters on Thursday, only to be greeted with shouts of “step down.”
TROOP PATROLS
By yesterday, thousands of troops, backed by tanks and metal barricades, patrolled Xinjiang’s regional capital. Paramilitary police manned checkpoints on streets around government and Communist Party headquarters, where security forces fired tear gas on Friday to disperse angry crowds of Han Chinese who say the government isn’t doing enough to protect them from extremists among the native Uighur population.
Entrances to the city’s Muslim quarter remained blocked by thousands of troops backed by heavy metal barricades and tanks.
Traffic was barred from much of the downtown area in the city of 2.5 million and many shops were closed.
There were no updated figures for the number of needle attacks, but unconfirmed reports of new incidents continued to spread through agitated crowds. Angry Han rushed to the southern edge of the city’s central square after people said two Uighur men had attacked an 11-year-old boy. Riot police quickly cleared the area.
The needle attacks began on Aug. 20, though were not publicly reported until Wednesday following days of rumors. Urumqi Deputy Mayor Zhang Hong (張鴻) said on Friday that 21 suspects had been detained, with four people indicted. He said all were Uighurs, while most victims were Han.
VICTIMS
Local police said hospitals in Urumqi were treating 531 people who believed they were attacked, Xinhua said. Of those, 106 showed obvious signs of needle attacks, it said.
Details of the protest deaths were few, although Zhang said on Friday that they all occurred on Thursday, the first day of the street protests, and resulted from “small-scale clashes.” He said two of those killed were “innocent,” while investigations into the other three deaths were continuing.
A report in Urumqi’s Morning Post yesterday said a “small number of people became overexcited and lost control of themselves” during Thursday’s demonstrations. It said casualties included police, paramilitary troops and innocent civilians, but gave no breakdown.
The World Uyghur Congress, a German-based exile group, said Han Chinese attacked more than 10 Uighurs during the protests and tried to storm the Nanmen mosque, but were stopped by authorities.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary