The United Arab Emirates (UAE) said it had seized a ship carrying banned weapons from North Korea bound for Iran, diplomatic sources said in New York.
The incident, which took place earlier this month, was apparently reported to the North Korea sanctions panel of the UN Security Council by the UAE.
South Korea’s Yonhap news agency reported yesterday that the panel was to meet soon to discuss the case.
The weapons, among them grenade launchers, had been listed as machine parts on the ship’s manifesto, the report said.
Iran is one of North Korea’s biggest weapons clients, making arms purchases worth about US$2 billion annually, official US estimates show.
The US and China are among the countries that last week reported implementing Security Council sanctions against North Korea for continuing its prohibited nuclear activities.
In June, the council adopted a resolution to ban exports of all weapons to and from North Korea as well as all financial transactions that could contribute to its nuclear weapons program.
Resolution 1874 bans all 192 UN member states from engaging in arms dealing with the Stalinist state and allows for the inspection of North Korean vessels if there is suspicion of arms trafficking.
The sanctions were imposed after Pyongyang conducted a nuclear test, its second, and test-fired several missiles earlier this year.
They aim to return North Korea to the process of denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and meet previous commitments made in six-nation talks involving the US, Russia, China, Japan and North and South Korea, whose goal is to dismantle Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons program.
In June, the US Navy shadowed a North Korean ship, believed to be carrying weapons destined for Myanmar, another pariah state, for two weeks, before the vessel returned to its home port without delivering its cargo.
The UAE seizure came at a time when North Korea was making a series of conciliatory gestures toward Seoul, following months of rising tension on the Korean Peninsula.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats