Pyongyang has invited top envoys of US President Barack Obama to visit North Korea in what would be the first nuclear negotiations between the two countries under his presidency, a news report said yesterday.
North Korea recently offered the invitation to Stephen Bosworth, special envoy to North Korea, and chief nuclear negotiator Sung Kim, and the US government is strongly considering sending them to the North next month, Seoul's JoongAng Ilbo daily reported.
The US embassy in Seoul said it had no comment on the report.
The JoongAng report, citing an unidentified high-level diplomatic source in Washington, said the US diplomats might be able to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong-il during the visit, considering Pyongyang's recent conciliatory attitude.
South Korea's Yonhap news agency quoted a diplomatic source in Washington as saying the North extended the invitation when former US president Bill Clinton visited Pyongyang this month to win the release of two jailed US journalists.
US officials have said they are willing to hold direct talks with North Korea but only as part of six-country disarmament negotiations involving the two Koreas, China, Japan, Russia and the United States.
Officials from the two biggest US military allies in the region — Japan and South Korea — have said they would go along with direct US-North Korean talks as long as Washington coordinates and consults with them.
“We are sticking to our existing position that we will continue faithfully carrying out UN resolutions while urging North Korea to return to six-party talks,” Seoul's foreign ministry spokesman Moon Tae-young said regarding talks over the weekend between Bosworth and South Korean officials.
The six-party talks, hosted by the North's biggest benefactor China, broke down at the end of last year with Pyongyang saying the format was dead.
Analysts said the talks among the Red Cross societies from the two Koreas for the reunions could solve another problem by leading to the release of four South Korean fishermen held for weeks in the North after their boat crossed a nautical border.
North Korea also re-opened one of the few hotlines between the Koreas after cutting the communication link about a year ago.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
CHIP EXCEPTION: An official said that an exception for Taiwanese semiconductors would have a limited effect, as most are packaged in third nations before being sold The Executive Yuan yesterday decried US President Donald Trump’s 32 percent tariff on Taiwanese goods announced hours earlier as “unfair,” saying it would lodge a representation with Washington. The Cabinet in a statement described the pledged US tariffs, expected to take effect on Wednesday next week, as “deeply unreasonable” and “highly regrettable.” Cabinet spokeswoman Michelle Lee (李慧芝) said that the government would “lodge a solemn representation” with the US Trade Representative and continue negotiating with Washington to “ensure the interests of our nation and industries.” Trump at a news conference in Washington on Wednesday announced a 10 percent baseline tariff on most goods
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats