Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Andrew Hsia (夏立言) tendered his resignation yesterday, making him the first official casualty of the government’s highly criticized response in the aftermath of Typhoon Morakot. President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said Hsia’s letter of resignation had reached Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄).
“I believe he will approve it,” Ma said at a press conference with foreign press yesterday.
Ma, however, did not hear the question right, as the reporter asked him whether he approved of Hsia’s resignation.
Separately, Liu’s office yesterday said the resignation had not been approved by the premier.
Liu had talked with Minister of Foreign Affairs Francisco Ou (歐鴻鍊) on the matter and would make up his mind later, Liu’s office said.
The ministry was put on the defensive last week when a cable instructing foreign missions to decline all forms of foreign aid except for cash was leaked to a local newspaper. The cable was sent out three days after the typhoon battered five southern counties.
The leak ignited public fury and criticism of the ministry.
At a press conference on Friday, Hsia said the cable should have included the phrase “temporarily decline,” and blamed the media for twisting the meaning of the document, which was meant to thank the international community for their offers and to instruct representative offices to encourage foreign governments to donate money instead.
The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and staffers inside the ministry said Hsia was a scapegoat for the government.
Speaking on the condition of anonymity, a ranking foreign ministry official said Hsia had to take the fall because he was the deputy minister, but that Hsia was not directly linked to the cable.
Hsia, however, has repeatedly told reporters that the question of who approved the cable was a moot point because any errors committed automatically fell on his shoulders while Ou was away.
The ministry also argued its sole role in the relief effort was to coordinate with other governments on aid and that it had no authority to ask for assistance because such decisions were under the National Fire Administration’s (NFA) jurisdiction.
The NFA, however, said it was never consulted by the ministry prior to the release of the cable.
The official said the ministry had kept records of communications with the NFA and was fully prepared for a face-off if it came to that.
DPP Spokesperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said yesterday that according to government protocol, any such instructions must pass the desks of the premier and the president and therefore, those two should take the blame, not Hsia.
Hsia has denied Ma and Liu ever saw the document.
“Whether or not Ma knew about the cable, it was a huge mistake,” Tsai said.
Former vice president Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) said Hsia should not be held solely responsible.
“He does not have the power nor the guts to make such an important decision,” she said.
Lu urged the government to refrain from letting Hsia become a second Yu Wen (余文), a secretary to Ma during his stint as Taipei mayor.
Yu was found guilty of graft in August 2007 and sentenced to 14 months in jail for using fraudulent receipts to claim reimbursements from Ma’s special allowance fund. He was released on parole in April.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SHIH HSIU-CHUAN
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats