A 51-year-old cab driver set himself on fire outside the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) building yesterday.
At about 3:30pm yesterday, Chen Pao-kuo (陳寶國) drove his taxi to the front of the MOJ building.
A security guard who had been at the front door thought the driver was dropping someone off, but when he went to open the car door, he discovered that the driver had poured liquid on himself and set himself on fire, police officers said.
Because Chen’s car had caught fire as well, he jumped out of his car, screaming and crying and rolling on the ground.
The guard used a fire extinguisher to douse the flames on the burning man before extinguishing the fire in the car.
By the time the fire had been put out, the man’s clothes had burned almost completely off, with layers of burnt skin hanging off as well. He suffered second-degree burns to 80 percent of his body, police said.
He was taken by ambulance to National Taiwan University Hospital where he remained in critical condition at press time.
An initial search of Chen’s car found a 3 liter gasoline container, which had about 1 liter of gas left after the incident. Chen left no message, police said.
“We have contacted his family and they said they have no idea why he would do such a thing,” said Lai Cheng-kuan (賴正寬), deputy director of the Taipei City Police Department’s Zhongzheng First Police District.
Lai said Chen Pao-kuo had spent 10 years and three months in jail for manslaughter, and his family said he had been paranoid and depressed ever since he got out of jail last month.
Because the MOJ building is connected to the Taipei District Court, where former president Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) detention hearing had been held in the morning, the police asked Chen Pao-kuo’s family about his political views in an effort to determine his motives.
However, Chen Pao-kuo’s older sister said her brother did not have any particular political leanings or attend political events, Lai said.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats