Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was re-elected with more than 62 percent of the vote, the Iranian Interior Ministry said yesterday, sparking accusations of fraud from his main rival Mir-Hossein Moussavi, and leading Tehran police to ban public gatherings.
Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei confirmed the result and congratulated Ahmadinejad, calling him “president of all Iranians.”
Ahmadinejad was to address the nation on state TV late yesterday.
PHOTO: AP
Police in Tehran announced a ban on any public gatherings as Ahmadinejad supporters were jubilant, while those of Moussavi expressed disbelief and extreme skepticism.
Witnesses said there had already been clashes involving Moussavi supporters both with Ahmadinejad supporters and with police.
Iranian Interior Minister Sadeq Mahsoul said that the incumbent president gained 24.5 million votes and secured himself an absolute majority of 62 percent. Moussavi had received 33.7 percent — 13.2 million — of the votes, he said.
Moussavi had already declared himself winner of the election shortly after polling closed, and later said there had been large-scale irregularities.
“The Iranians know very well for whom they have voted and will neither accept the vote counting charade on [state] television nor follow those who have come to power with cheating and deception,” Moussavi said in a statement on his Web site.
Ahmadinejad’s win was by a far greater margin than most observers were expecting, and with the result vehemently disputed by Moussavi and his supporters, police in Tehran announced a ban on any public gathering and the interior ministry was sealed off, as were nearby streets.
Mahsoul said any gathering or demonstration needed prior permission from his ministry and any move without that permission would be considered illegal and be confronted by police. Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, confirming both election and its results, congratulated Ahmadinejad on his landslide victory.
“The elected president is the president of all Iranians and also his opponents should now support and help him,” Khamenei said in a message carried by state TV.
“The people turned with their presence the election into an epic day,” the leader said, referring to an 85 percent record turnout.
The Iranian Constitution stipulates that Ayatollah Khamenei has the final say on all state affairs and could have potentially nullified the election if fraud had been proved.
Moussavi had said in a press conference on Friday night in Tehran that he was the clear winner, and accused the government of manipulating both the voting process and the counting.
“I am the definitive winner of the elections and the legitimate president of the people,” he said. “I have nothing but the support of the people — but with this support I will go to the very end.”
“I will not surrender to this dangerous charade ... I will disclose the secrets behind the curtain. This rulership of lies and tyranny will have a devastating impact on the destiny of our country,” the former Iranian prime minister warned.
The two other candidates in the poll — conservative Mohsen Rezaei and former parliament speaker Mehdi Karroubi — gained less than 2 percent and 1 percent of the votes respectively as the election turned into a two-horse race.
“What we could have turned into a national feast, we turned into national mourning — all we can do right now is sing songs of mourning,” said Karroubi, who also accused the interior ministry of fraud.
“I will not be intimidated by such actions and will continue my path and for me, this is just the beginning,” the moderate cleric said.
Mahsoul, however, dismissed the fraud claims, and said that his ministry would be ready to receive any legal complaints and reply to them accordingly.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats