Spy satellites have spotted signs that North Korea may be preparing to transport another long-range missile to a test launch site, South Korean officials said yesterday, as the US secretary of defense issued his harshest warning to the North since its recent nuclear test.
“We will not stand idly by as North Korea builds the capability to wreak destruction on any target in Asia — or on us,” US Secretary of Defense Robert Gates told a regional defense meeting in Singapore.
He said North Korea’s nuclear program was a “harbinger of a dark future,” but wasn’t yet a direct threat.
Since last Monday’s nuclear blast, North Korea has test-launched six short-range missiles in a show of force and announced it won’t honor the 1953 truce that ended the fighting in the Korean War.
Now, the reclusive communist state appears to be preparing to move a long-range missile by train from a weapons factory near Pyongyang to its northeastern Musudan-ni launch pad, a South Korean defense ministry official said.
Images of the movements were captured by US satellites, said the official, who was not allowed to be identified when discussing intelligence matters.
The threat of a long-range missile test comes amid heightened tensions over North Korea’s nuclear program.
North Korea, believed to have enough weaponized plutonium for at least six nuclear bombs, walked away from international disarmament negotiations last month in anger over UN criticism of a rocket launch Washington and others called a cover for the test of long-range missile technology.
Experts say Pyongyang is working toward mounting a nuclear bomb on a long-range missile, one capable of reaching the US.
Gates and the defense ministers of Japan and South Korea said North Korea must not be allowed to continue playing a dangerous game of brinksmanship in hopes of winning aid.
“We must make North Korea clearly recognize that it will not be rewarded for its wrong behaviors,” South Korea Defense Minister Lee Sang-hee said.
Officials in Washington said they noticed increased activity at the test site. They spoke on condition of anonymity on Friday, saying methods of gathering information about North Korea were sensitive.
Yonhap said the size of the missile was similar to a long-range rocket the North tested last month.
Experts have said the new three-stage rocket has a potential range of more than 6,700km, putting Alaska within its striking distance.
The North is likely to fire the missile shortly after the UN Security Council adopts a resolution criticizing its recent nuclear test, said Yang Moo-jin, a professor at Seoul’s University of North Korean Studies.
The resolution is expected to call on all countries to immediately enforce sanctions imposed by an earlier UN resolution after Pyongyang’s first nuclear test in 2006.
The sanctions include a partial arms embargo, a ban on luxury goods and ship searches for illegal weapons or material. They have been sporadically implemented, with many of the 192 UN member states ignoring them.
The draft would also have the Security Council condemn “in the strongest terms” the recent nuclear test “in flagrant violation and disregard” of the 2006 resolution.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats