Three more people have tested positive for the (A)H1N1 flu virus, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) said yesterday, bringing Taiwan’s total number of confirmed cases to six.
A 30-year-old woman who was in Manila from last Saturday to Wednesday had tested positive for A(H1N1) influenza, the CDC told a press conference yesterday afternoon. Test results released last night showed her daughter had also tested positive for (A)H1N1.
“She [the woman] felt unwell while in Manila and went to a clinic on Thursday after she developed a fever. Her daughter was also screened after she developed a fever,” CDC spokesman Shih Wen-yi (施文儀) said.
The girl’s school, Guangfu Elementary School in Chungho (中和), Taipei County, will be shut until Friday. All staff and students will be required to take medication, Shih said.
He said the woman did not have a fever when she returned to Taiwan on Wednesday, so was not stopped at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport.
Later that day the woman visited a friend and had dinner there with six other people, Shih said. All six have been advised to take medication, he said.
The other new case announced yesterday was a female student, the sister of a woman the CDC confirmed as being infected late on Thursday.
The two sisters returned from San Francisco on Thursday on an EVA Airways flight.
The nation’s second confirmed case involved a Taiwanese female also studying in the US. She returned to Taiwan from New York via Hong Kong on Wednesday.
Taiwan’s first confirmed case was an Australian doctor who arrived by plane from New York via Hong Kong on Monday. He is expected to be discharged as early as tonight, the CDC said.
The infections among the students yesterday prompted the Ministry of Education to suspend a school trip it had sponsored to Japan.
It also advised students against visiting countries with high levels of (A)H1N1 infection.
The ministry also urged students overseas with flu symptoms to seek immediate treatment.
In related news, the local travel industry is worried that the swine flu outbreak will dampen interest in traveling abroad this summer with travel agents already offering large discounts to help stimulate demand.
Ting Lai (丁萊), CEO of the 2009 Taipei International Tourism Exposition, said prices for trips abroad this summer would be slashed because of the flu outbreak.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY STAFF WRITER
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats