A suicide bomber blew himself up at a gathering of minority Shiite Muslims in Pakistan yesterday, killing 22 people a day after a deadly suicide attack in the capital, police said.
The attack in the central city of Chakwal came a day after a pilotless US drone aircraft killed 13 people including militants in the northwest and a suicide bomber killed eight soldiers in Islamabad.
About 2,000 people had gathered at a Shiite religious center in Chakwal, south of Islamabad, for a ceremony when the bomber struck.
“There was a break in the ceremony and some people were going out and others were coming in when all of a sudden a young man tried to run into the crowd,” a witness said. “When guards tried to stop him at the gate he blew himself up.”
Regional police chief Nasir Khan Durrani said 22 people had been killed and 35 wounded. Durrani said the death toll would have been much higher if the bomber had managed to force his way into the crowd.
Outside the religious center, blood was splattered over the gate and walls while shoes and other possessions were strewn on the ground. Three mangled motorcycles lay outside the gate.
In related news, Pakistani and Afghan officials prepared yesterday to send home the bodies of 46 Afghans found crammed into a truck container believed to have been bound for Iran, officials said.
The container, carrying around 110 people, was found about 20km south of Quetta, capital of oil and gas rich Baluchistan Province, which borders Afghanistan and Iran, police said.
“The death toll is 46,” police official Ghulam Dastagir told reporters from the southwestern province after the bodies were found on Saturday. “[Another] 45 people were unconscious and have been admitted to hospital.”
The investigation into the matter had been handed over to Pakistan’s Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), which deals with immigration matters.
“We are investigating the matter and have contacted the Afghan consulate in Quetta, who have visited the hospital,” FIA Director Shahab Azeem told reporters.
“According to initial investigations the survivors have told us that they boarded the container at Chaman border and had to come to Quetta for onward journey to Iran,” Azeem said.
The official said a case had been registered against an Afghan national, Gul Agha, who according to survivors charged 30,000 rupees (US$375) each to take them to Iran.
Afghanistan’s counsel general in Quetta, Mohammad Daud Mohsini, said Afghan President Hamid Karzai had ordered authorities to send a special plane to fly the victims home.
Karzai’s office in Kabul said that the president was saddened by the deaths and warned against illegal migration.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats