A member of Hamas’ politburo said yesterday that the Palestinian movement would not fire any rockets toward Israel while the Jewish state suspends its bombing of Gaza.
“I do not expect that any rockets will be launched during the three-hour period,” the Damascus-based Mussa Abu Marzuk, one of Hamas’ most senior leaders, was quoted as saying by his spokesman.
The Israeli army had earlier announced it would suspend its bombing of Gaza between 11am and 2pm daily to allow the passage of humanitarian aid, but would respond to rocket fire.
PHOTO: AFP
Israel ordered the temporary halt as it faced growing condemnation over the mounting death toll in its war on Hamas. But the Israeli Cabinet also debated expanding the military offensive aimed at ending Hamas cross-border rocket attacks, while considering an Egyptian ceasefire initiative given new urgency by strikes on three UN schools in which dozens died.
John Ging, head of Gaza operations for the UN Relief and Works Agency, confirmed at least 30 people died and 55 were injured, five critically, when three artillery tank shells landed at the perimeter of a UN school where hundreds of civilians had taken refuge on the 11th day of the Israeli onslaught in Gaza.
He said the “indications are that these strikes originated from Israeli weapons.”
Most of the casualties in the attack at the UN school in the northern Gaza town of Jebaliya, where some 350 people had taken refuge, were outside the school premises though there were some inside as well, Ging said. Other officials in Gaza said 34 to 36 people died.
A senior Israeli government official dampened hopes that Israel would soon agree to a ceasefire under the plan proposed by Egypt, however.
Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak “has instructed the army to prepare for the third stage of the operation,” the official said. “We can’t see the operation stopping in the coming days. We still have to study the details of the Egyptian proposal.”
In Geneva, the UN Human Rights Council said yesterday it would hold a special session tomorrow on the situation in the Gaza Strip at the request of Islamic and developing countries as well as Russia.
The formal request — from 29 members of the 47-nation body — says the session should discuss “the grave violations of human rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territory including the recent aggression in the Occupied Gaza Strip.”
Resolutions issued by the council are not binding.
In Beirut, Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah on Tuesday warned that “all possibilities” were open against Israel as he gave a fiery speech on the Jewish state’s offensive in Gaza.
“We have to act as though all possibilities are real and open with Israel and we must always be ready for any eventuality,” said Nasrallah, whose Shiite militant party fought a devastating war with Israel in 2006.
He warned that the 2006 war, which killed some 1,200 mostly civilian Lebanese, would be “but a walk in the park” compared to what awaits Israel if it launches a new offensive on Lebanon.
Also yesterday, Israel expelled Venezuela’s charge d’affaires in response to the expulsion of the Israeli ambassador to Caracas over the war in Gaza, a foreign ministry spokesman said yesterday.
Also See: Malaysian Muslims plan mass boycott of American goods
Also See: If you were in Israel’s predicament, wouldn’t you do the same?
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats