Despite President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) denial in a letter to Reporters Without Borders (RSF), the international press freedom watchdog is concerned that the independence of the nation’s media is threatened and has urged the Ma government to refrain from manipulating the media.
“Taiwan should be a press freedom model in Asia and the independence of the public media is one of the key components of a free and diverse press system,” the group said in a statement released on Wednesday. “We want to believe in President Ma’s promises, but they must be translated into action.”
RSF was responding to a letter that Ma wrote to its secretary-general, Jean-Francois Julliard.
In October, Julliard condemned the Ma administration for attempting to control the media by calling reporters to ask them to rewrite news stories and then appointing party supporters to management positions at state-owned media outlets.
Radio Taiwan International (RTI) chairman Cheng Yu (鄭優) offered his resignation on Oct. 1 in protest against interference by the Government Information Office (GIO).
Later, the Central News Agency’s (CNA) deputy editor-in-chief Chuang Feng-chia (莊豐嘉) resigned. In an open letter issued on Oct. 8, Chuang said the agency’s reporters were being asked by CNA chairman Chen Shen-ching (陳申青) to withdraw reports critical of Ma and his administration.
Ma rebutted the accusations in a letter to Julliard.
“We believe that accusations of this administration’s interference in Taiwan’s media are based on some wrong information or misunderstandings,” Ma wrote in the letter.
Ma went on to say in the letter that the government “will never attempt to control or interfere in the activities in the media” and added the government “is fully aware of the indispensable role that freedom of the press has played in the consolidation of our democracy.”
However, recent disputes at Public Television System (PTS) have again raised concerns on the independence of the publicly owned media in Taiwan.
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislative caucus, with endorsement of caucus whip Lin Yi-shih (林益世), proposed a case-by-case review of PTS program budgets by the GIO and froze half of the PTS budget for next year.
The chairman and 10 other senior members of the Public Television Service Foundation — which oversees the PTS, Hakka Television, Indigenous Television and China Television Service — issued a statement last week condemning the KMT for attempting to control the media and called for their independence to be guaranteed.
RSF supported their view.
“Regardless of the political party debate, the media should have a favorable legislative and political environment,” the statement said. “We urge the president to order a probe into the various accusations of meddling and to set up mechanisms that guarantee media independence.”
The Presidential Office denied the accusations.
Presidential Office public relations director Eddy Tsai (蔡仲禮) told the Taipei Times via telephone that since TBS, RTI and CNA are partially funded by the government, “it’s reasonable for the Legislative Yuan to monitor their budgets — but never the actual program content.”
He said that Cheng had expressed his wish to resign as RTI chairman when Ma took office in May because of their different political ideologies, “but his resignation was not officially approved until the RTI board of directors officially met in October.”
Tsai confirmed that the GIO did contact state-owned media organizations, and that the GIO did so because it had received complaints or suggestions from the public.
“The GIO merely passed on the information to the media outlets and the media outlets actually found some of the suggestions useful,” he said.
Also See: Ma must clarify his role: group
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats