Heavy rain brought by Typhoon Sinlaku pummeled the nation yesterday, causing injuries and disrupting traffic nationwide.
The National Disaster Protection and Prevention Commission reported yesterday that 17 people were injured and two were missing. More than 1,000 people were temporarily placed in shelters.
About 18,000 households were without electricity, while 800 households had no water.
The Council of Agriculture said agricultural damages had exceeded NT$114 million (US$3.57 million). As many as 200 rivers were listed as “alerts” for flooding.
All schools and businesses were expected to return to normal today, except for Jenai (仁愛), Hsinyi (信義) Kuohsing (國姓) and Yuchih (魚池) townships in Nantou County, Alishan Township (阿里山) in Chiayi County and Heping (和平) Township in Taichung County.
The Ministry of Transportation and Communications said that road sections on 13 provincial and county highway were damaged. Seventeen sections had been repaired as of 2pm yesterday, while six sections will not be fixed until next week.
Howfeng Bridge (后豐大橋), connecting Howli (后里) and Fengyuan (豐原) in Taichung County, collapsed yesterday, causing three cars to fall into the Dachia River and to be washed away.
Uni Air canceled all of its flights between Taipei and Matsu. Flights from both China Airlines and Mandarin Airlines were delayed.
The Taiwan Railway Administration canceled its service before 12pm but resumed services yesterday afternoon.
After lingering off the east coast for a day, Sinlaku finally made landfall at 1:50am in Ilan County yesterday.
Tsai Fu-dien (蔡甫甸), a section chief at the Central Weather Bureau, said the typhoon remained stationary from 2pm to 5pm, when it moved off the coast.
At 7pm, the center of Sinlaku was 40km northwest of Keelung. It was moving northeast at a speed of 7kph with a radius of 250km.
Foehn winds were reported in the Taitung County, which continued for at least 18 hours.
Shipanlong (石磐龍) in Chiayi County had experienced the biggest accumulation of rain as of press time, topping 1,158mm. It was followed by Taipingshan (太平山) in Ilan County and Niaotsuishan (鳥嘴山) in Hsinchu County, with 1,028mm and 1,011mm respectively. The bureau estimated that rain in Chiayi may have exceeded 1,500mm.
Tsai said that because the typhoon lingered off the north coast for more than six hours, the continuous interaction between the typhoon’s circumfluence and the landforms had caused the rainfall in the central and southern Taiwan to increase drastically.
Sinlaku was expected to leave the nation by this evening.
CHINA
Meanwhile, a typhoon warning was sounded by officials for China’s eastern coast, leading to the evacuation of about 170,000 people yesterday.
Chinese media said Sinlaku could pummel Fujian and Zhejiang provinces with strong winds and torrential rains.
In Fujian, more than 30,000 fishermen were called into port, and all schools have been ordered closed for the next two days.
Flood warnings were issued for Zhejiang where waves of up to 6m were expected.
Sinlaku was downgraded to a tropical storm at 8pm last night.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats