Police arrested one of the alleged masterminds of a ferry bombing that killed 116 people four years ago, a Philippine anti-terrorism official said yesterday.
Ruben Pestano Lavilla was deported to Manila yesterday after being arrested last month in Bahrain, said Anti-Terrorism Council Chairman Eduardo Ermita, who is also the most senior member of Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo’s Cabinet.
Lavilla was arrested after he applied for a job at the Philippine embassy in Bahrain, Justice Undersecretary Ricardo Blancaflor said.
Blancaflor said Lavilla is “the brains” of the Rajah Solaiman Movement, a group of Islamic converts that is allied with two al-Qaeda-linked groups — the regional terror network Jemaah Islamiyah and the Abu Sayyaf, a Muslim extremist group based in the southern Philippines.
Bahraini authorities arrested Lavilla on July 24 after a Philippine embassy security check on job applicants found he had outstanding warrants for murder and rebellion in the Philippines, Blancaflor said.
It took a month for the deportation process to be completed, including a confirmation by the Bahraini government of the existence of the Philippine arrest warrants, the creation of a team to bring Lavilla back to Manila and other preparations that “conform with the international law on human rights,” Blancaflor said.
“If you are a terrorist, wherever you are, wherever you hide, the law will catch up with you — that’s the most important thing here,” he said.
He said Lavilla fled the country about a month after the Feb. 27, 2004, bombing of the Superferry 14.
The blast ignited a fire that swept through the ferry as it was sailing in Manila Bay.
It was the second-worst terrorist attack in Southeast Asia after 2002 bombings in Bali, Indonesia, that killed 202 people, many of them foreign tourists.
The Rajah Solaiman Movement and its Abu Sayyaf and Jemaah Islamiyah allies have also been blamed for a series of bombings on Feb. 14, 2005, in Manila and two southern cities that killed eight people and wounded 150 others.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats