China re-opened Tibet to foreign tourists yesterday after claiming victory over the worst unrest there in decades — which led Beijing to all but seal off the area from the outside world.
China’s crackdown in the wake of violent protests in Tibet in March drew international condemnation and led to demonstrations in several countries that disrupted the Olympic torch relay ahead of the Beijing Games in August.
On the provincial Web site, spokesman Zha Nuo (扎諾) said the region would be reopened for tourists — and that having run the torch through the Tibetan capital Lhasa on Saturday without incident showed things were stable.
“After the quick quelling of the ‘March 14’ incident in Lhasa, we have realized a great transitional victory in the fight against separatists,” Zha said.
“The successful Beijing Olympic torch relay in Lhasa on June 21 further proves that currently social stability in Tibet has been further consolidated,” he said.
Zha said two Swedish tourists were to arrive in Lhasa yesterday, followed by four from Singapore on Sunday.
He did not mention when a ban on foreign journalists would be lifted.
“Tibeten tourism is safe, Tibetans are friendly,” he said on Tuesday.
Beijing kicked all tourists and foreigners out of Tibet after violent protests against Chinese rule erupted in mid-March, prompting a massive Chinese security clampdown.
China allowed mainland Chinese tour groups back in at the end of April, followed by visitors from Hong Kong and Macau last month, when it also began allowing tourists from Taiwan.
“It is very hard for us to believe that China will allow free access to Western tourists,” said Paul Bourke, the executive director of the Australia Tibet Council.
“China has always seemed to go to great lengths to prevent Tibetans from having any contact with foreigners. We will be watching with interest to see how this so called ‘opening’ develops,” he said.
Burke said he continues to receive reports from Tibet about a huge military presence in the region and an ongoing police and military lockdown on Tibetan Buddhist monasteries.
Foreign tourists are likely to be watched closely and their movements would be restricted, Bourke said, citing what he said was the stage management of Saturday’s torch relay in Lhasa.
“They may be saying the torch relay was a success, but it was cut from three days to one day and then to a few hours,” Bourke said.
“It was completely stage-managed, with most Tibetans told to stay at home. There was a huge military presence on the streets, and the journalists covering it were all hand-picked and restricted,” he said.
China’s crackdown on the unrest in Tibet sparked international protests that dogged the Olympic torch’s month-long global journey in April before it arrived in China for a nationwide relay.
Exiled Tibetan leaders say 203 people died in the Chinese clampdown on the riots, which began in Lhasa after monks led peaceful protests to mark a 1959 uprising, and later spread across the Tibetan plateau.
China has reported killing one Tibetan “insurgent” and says “rioters” were responsible for 21 deaths.
With the Beijing Olympics set to start in less than two months, China faced the prospect of the Games being tarnished by continued overseas criticism of its Tibet policies if it had kept the region sealed off.
Officials had previously predicted that visitors to the remote region would hit 5 million this year. But just 120,000 people have visited Tibet since the end of April, official figures showed.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats