Japan said yesterday it could impose harsher sanctions against North Korea if Pyongyang failed to meet its promise in a long-running row over its abduction of Japanese nationals.
Japan had said that it would lift some of its sanctions against North Korea after Pyongyang resumed talks with Tokyo and agreed to open a new probe to search for Japanese people kidnapped by North Korean spies during the Cold War.
But Japanese Foreign Minister Masahiko Komura told the public broadcaster NHK that North Korea had to make clear progress on the issue.
“We just promised to ease sanctions, believing it’s going to be a sincere probe,” he said.
“If we found it not sincere, [sanctions] will revive and may become a harsher one.”
“If they don’t move forward at all, we will take a step backward. Our stance is tongue for tongue and action for action,” Komura said.
Japan said it would lift restrictions on the movement of people between the two countries and end a ban on chartered flights from the impoverished state.
It also said it would allow North Korean ships to dock for humanitarian purposes, although most vessels, including a ferry that was the main link between the two countries, would remain barred.
The plight of the abductees has struck an emotional chord in Japan.
North Korea admitted in 2002 to having kidnapped 13 Japanese in the 1970s and 1980s to train its spies in Japanese language and culture.
It returned five victims and their families, then said the case was closed.
Komura also called on the US and other countries to take concerted steps with Tokyo in an effort to make Pyongyang resolve the abduction row and abandon its nuclear ambitions.
“We cannot solve the issues without a decision by [North Korean leader] Kim Jong-il,” the foreign minister said. “Unfortunately, Japanese pressure is not good enough.”
“In reality, we will be able to make it by relying on the help of the United States, South Korea, China, Russia and other countries,” he said.
Komura will hold talks with US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice this week in Kyoto on the sidelines of the G8 foreign ministers’ meeting.
The talks between Japan and North Korea came amid signs of progress in the six-nation disarmament deal after a long standstill.
North Korea, which tested a nuclear bomb in 2006, agreed in February to give up its nuclear programs in exchange for badly-needed fuel aid and diplomatic benefits.
It failed to submit a complete list of its nuclear programs by the end of last year, with the US pressing for Pyongyang to clear up suspicions it sold arms to Syria and ran a secret plutonium program.
But Rice said on Wednesday that North Korea would soon submit its declaration of nuclear programs, indicating Washington would then take action to remove North Korea from the list of state sponsors of terrorism.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary