EU heads at a Brussels summit yesterday delayed until October a decision on how to tackle Ireland’s rejection of the Lisbon treaty, while seeking to overcome Czech resistance to the key charter.
“The European Council agreed to Ireland’s suggestion to come back to this issue at its meeting of 15 October, 2008 in order to consider the way forward,” said a draft summit statement.
In it the leaders noted that, although 19 EU nations have ratified the treaty designed to streamline the bloc’s operations as it expands, “more time was needed to analyze the situation.”
The only reference to whether the seven countries who have not endorsed the treaty should forge ahead simply said: “The ratification process continues in the other countries.”
The document, which could yet change in a day of political wrangling, made no reference to the importance the leaders attach to the treaty.
While giving Ireland four months to come up with a plan to move forward with the treaty — handed a resounding “no” by more than 53 percent of Irish voters in a June 12 referendum — the EU leaders were keen to prevent any other member states from dealing the charter the fatal blow.
Another setback could torpedo the charter in the way French and Dutch voters did in 2005 for its predecessor, the EU constitution.
Czech President Vaclav Klaus already said last week that the Lisbon treaty was dead, after the Irish rejection.
Belgian Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs Olivier Chastel said yesterday that the Czechs were “not willing to listen to reason.”
But EU leaders made a concession to Prague on the second day of their summit to recognize the Czech Republic’s particular difficulties with ratification.
In an addition to their joint statement, they “noted that the Czech Republic cannot complete the ratification process until the constitutional court delivers its positive opinion on the accordance of the Lisbon treaty with the Czech constitutional order.”
Prague’s parliamentary ratification was suspended in late April as it was still going through the lower chamber, after the Senate demanded that the constitutional court rule on whether the treaty conforms with the Constitution.
Arriving for the negotiations, EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana said he did not think the Czechs would block the treaty.
“I think that the treaty will be ratified in the rest of the countries,” he said.
Czech Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg said that he hoped Prague could endorse the text by January, but that obstacles remained.
During the lengthy first-day summit session, Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen pleaded for more time to plot a way out of the EU’s reform crisis.
Elsewhere in their summit talks and the draft conclusions, the EU leaders tackled soaring oil and food prices and the environment.
The EU also implicitly threatened more sanctions against Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe’s regime, saying it stood ready to take further action against those behind the political violence.
Next month the French take over the EU’s rotating presidency and President Nicolas Sarkozy at the summit appeared to be a man in a hurry.
He said on Thursday he plans to visit Ireland next month in search of an answer to the treaty crisis.
US President Donald Trump yesterday announced sweeping "reciprocal tariffs" on US trading partners, including a 32 percent tax on goods from Taiwan that is set to take effect on Wednesday. At a Rose Garden event, Trump declared a 10 percent baseline tax on imports from all countries, with the White House saying it would take effect on Saturday. Countries with larger trade surpluses with the US would face higher duties beginning on Wednesday, including Taiwan (32 percent), China (34 percent), Japan (24 percent), South Korea (25 percent), Vietnam (46 percent) and Thailand (36 percent). Canada and Mexico, the two largest US trading
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary