Effective immediately, Taiwanese and foreign nationals holding valid travel papers will be allowed to enter China via the outlying islands of Kinmen or Matsu, the Executive Yuan announced yesterday.
Previously, only certain Taiwanese residents were allowed to visit China via the “small three links.” They had to be either Kinmen or Matsu residents for more than six months, civil servants working on the islands or relatives and spouses of Kinmen or Matsu residents working in Taiwan. Taiwanese nationals meeting certain other requirements were also allowed to use the links.
Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Chairwoman Lai Shin-yuan (賴幸媛) told reporters after yesterday’s Cabinet meeting that the measure to expand the “small three links” with China was the realization of President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) election promise to further relax cross-strait restrictions.
It was a provisional policy before full cross-strait direct transportation links become a reality, Lai said, adding that it was the wish of Kinmen and Matsu residents that their interests were protected and that opinions taken into account.
The ball is now in China’s court, she said, adding that Beijing might decide to let Chinese nationals outside of Fujian Province use the “small three links,” but she suspected they would be allowed to do so on a case by case basis.
Lai said the administration hoped to place the issue of increasing the number of Chinese nationals visiting via the “three small links” on the agenda at the next round of cross-strait negotiations between Taiwan’s quasi-official Straits Exchange Foundation and its Chinese counterpart, the Association for Relations Across the Taiwan Strait. Lai said both sides had agreed that it was an “urgent” issue to fully open the “small three links.”
As for the short and long-term development of Kinmen and Matsu, Lai said the Council for Economic Planning and Development would conduct an evaluation and formulate a plan within three months.
The “small three links” were launched on Jan. 1, 2001. As of the end of last month, over 1.3 million people have visited China via the route.
Meanwhile, as a complementary measure, the Department of Aviation and Navigation said yesterday that domestic airlines would increase the number of flights to Kinmen.
This month, three domestic carriers — Mandarin Airlines (華信航空), Uni Air (立榮航空) and TransAsia Airways (復興航空) — are scheduled to provide 391 regular flights from Taipei, Kaohsiung, Taichung, Tainan and Chiayi to Kinmen. They are now planning to raise that to 434 from next month.
The department said the airlines are prepared to add another 112 additional flights if demand grows.
The department is also preparing additional round-trip shipping services between Kinmen and Xiamen and between Matsu and Mawai.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SHELLEY SHAN
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats