UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon toured Myanmar’s disaster area yesterday on the first day of a visit aimed at pushing through a full emergency relief effort after Cyclone Nargis.
Making the first trip to this impoverished nation by a UN leader in more than four decades, Ban said he had come bearing a “message of hope” after the tragedy, which has left nearly 134,000 people dead or missing.
Around 2 million more are in dire need of emergency assistance, and Myanmar’s junta has stunned the world by refusing a full-scale foreign relief effort that could save countless lives.
Ban spent less than three hours on a helicopter tour of the Irrawaddy Delta, which bore the brunt of the storm — and which the regime has kept off-limits to almost all foreigners, including disaster relief workers.
A UN official said that Ban was taken to two camps in the southern region hardest hit by the worst natural disaster in Myanmar’s history.
He is scheduled to meet the country’s isolationist military ruler, Senior General Than Shwe, today. The general refused to take Ban’s phone calls or respond to his letters in the days after the disaster.
“I’m quite confident we will be able to overcome this tragedy. I’ve tried to bring a message of hope to your people,” Ban said earlier as he made an offering at the country’s holiest Buddhist shrine, the Shwedagon Pagoda.
“At the same time, I hope your people and government can coordinate the flow of aid, so the aid work can be done in a more systematic and organized way,” he said.
During a meeting with Prime Minister Thein Sein, Ban expressed frustration over “the inability of the aid workers to bring assistance at the right time to the affected areas.”
The regime says that around 78,000 people have died and 56,000 are missing since the storm hit three weeks ago. Aid groups fear the actual toll could be far higher.
The UN estimates that only 25 percent of those in need have been reached by international aid.
The UN World Food Programme (WFP) said that the first of 10 helicopters approved by the junta to work in the country had arrived yesterday.
“It’s very good news,” WFP spokesman Marcus Prior said. “We’ve got barges in Yangon, lots of boats, trucks and now helicopters.”
Also see: 標題
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats