US President George W. Bush had quite a birthday present for Pope Benedict XVI yesterday: at least 9,000 excited guests gathered on the White House’s South Lawn for a 21-gun salute, a famed soprano’s rendition of The Lord’s Prayer and an emotional presidential welcome.
The pontiff turned 81 yesterday, the first full day of his trip to the US as leader of the world’s Roman Catholics. He was to spend most of the day at the White House, only the second pope to do so and the first in 29 years.
In remarks during pomp-filled festivities that had Washington aflutter for days, Bush was to tell the pontiff and the crowd how glad the US was to have him visit — and to tell Americans they should listen to his words.
“He will hear from the president that America and the world need to hear his message that God is love, that human life is sacred, that we all must be guided by common moral law and that we have responsibilities to care for our brothers and sisters in need, at home and across the world,” White House press secretary Dana Perino said.
thorny topics
Benedict was expected to raise thorny topics such as the Iraq war and Hispanic immigration in talks with Bush.
On the flight from Rome to Washington on Tuesday, Benedict had broached the most sensitive issue surrounding his trip when he told reporters he felt “deeply ashamed” at the child abuse scandal that has rocked the US Catholic Church, and would “do everything possible to heal this wound.”
He also vowed to raise the issue of immigration, saying the US must do “everything possible to fight ... all forms of violence so that immigrants may lead dignified lives.”
Hispanics make up nearly 40 percent of the 70 million Catholics in the US and are increasingly targeted in efforts to crack down on illegal immigrants.
Benedict was also expected to raise US involvement in Iraq, where more than 4,000 US soldiers have died in a war that was strongly opposed by his predecessor, John Paul II.
“There was a difference of opinion back in 2003, when the war began, and beyond,” Perino said.
“But I do think that they share an agreement that in order to stabilize the region and promote human rights and justice, having our troops there has been helpful,” she said.
sound of arms
Benedict said in his Easter message last year that “nothing good comes out of Iraq” and more recently lamented the “grim sound of arms” in the world’s conflict zones, in particular “Iraq, Lebanon and the Holy Land.”
Perino said a “shared desire to work together to combat terrorism” was also likely to be a topic of discussion between the two leaders.
While Benedict XVI condemns terrorism, he does not approve some means used by Washington to combat it, including hardline CIA interrogation methods such as waterboarding, which Bush has defended as necessary to effectively interrogate terrorists.
Another issue the pope and the president were likely to discuss, and not see eye to eye on, was the death penalty.
The Vatican wants capital punishment to be banned, while the US president believes “the death penalty, when carried out through a system of justice, can help protect innocent life and can punish the most grievous of crimes,” Perino said.
“There’s a divergence, but I would caution you that there is much more agreement between these two leaders than there is disagreement,” she said.
The pope is holding a mass for 48,000 people in Washington today before going to New York to visit the scene of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and hold another huge mass at Yankee Stadium.
He will also address the UN General Assembly, where he is expected to make a plea for world peace.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats