US President George W. Bush said yesterday that his administration was actively engaged in resolving turmoil in Africa even though he is skipping conflict-ridden areas on his five-nation trip to the continent.
In a news conference with Benin President Boni Yayi, Bush defended his decision to visit the western African nation, plus Tanzania, Rwanda, Ghana and Liberia. He said the many conflicts now roiling nearly every corner of Africa were not the main emphasis of his trip, which is meant to highlight success stories.
"When you herald success, it helps others realize what is possible," Bush said.
"This is a large place with a lot of nations and no question not everything is perfect. On the other hand, there are a lot of great success stories and the United States is pleased to be involved with those success stories," Bush said.
He mentioned US efforts in Kenya, which US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will visit tomorrow, and Sudan's Darfur region.
He called for a power sharing agreement in Kenya to end the post-election conflict that has killed 1,000 people in the East African state.
"In terms of Condi's visit, the key is that the leaders hear from her firsthand that the United States desires to see that there be no violence and that there be a power sharing agreement that will help this nation resolve its difficulties," Bush said.
The US president said he "had a tough decision early on as to whether to send troops to Darfur.''
He said his decision was guided in part by recommendations from groups working in Darfur, which he did not identify.
He said he hopes to shine a spotlight on the need to speed up the deployment of a joint African Union-UN peacekeeping force to Darfur while in Rwanda on Tuesday. Bush intends to thank Rwandans for contributing the largest contingent of troops so far to that mission.
Bush said he would address the continent's turmoil in meetings with the leaders he sees.
"These meetings give me an opportunity to talk about ways forward in trouble spots," he said.
Bush said he thought it would send a strong message for Rice to go to Kenya to give her views.
"The key is that the leaders hear from her firsthand US desires to see that there be no violence, that there be a power-sharing agreement that will help this nation resolve its difficulties," he said.
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats