President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) yesterday pledged that he would not declare martial law during his term, urging all election officials to follow the Central Election Commission's (CEC) decision to distribute election and referendum ballots simultaneously during January's legislative elections.
"This year marks the 20th anniversary of the lifting of martial law. Many people paid a high price during it, including losing their freedom and even their lives," Chen said while receiving guests at the Presidential Office yesterday morning. "There is no way we are going to turn back from the road to democracy."
Chen said he had presidential authority to impose martial law and some have suggested he do so to settle the controversy over the voting system for the legislative elections and the two referendums.
However, he said he would never declare martial law during his presidency.
"The public can rest assured on that," he said. "I am calling on my opponents to stop diverting attention, sullying the image of the administration and confusing the public."
The CEC has adopted a one-step voting procedure in which voters will receive two ballots for the legislative elections and two referendum ballots together and cast them into four different boxes.
Eighteen pan-blue local government chiefs, however, have insisted on following a two-step voting process, whereby voters first cast their legislative election ballots before receiving their referendum ballots.
Chen raised eyebrows on Sunday night when he said he was seriously considering four options -- implementing martial law, invalidating the election results in pan-blue controlled authorities, replacing local election commission heads, or getting the CEC to delay the elections -- during a campaign rally in Shulin (
Chen yesterday said he would leave it to the CEC and the other agencies concerned to decide how to deal with the controversy and that he did not have any particular preference.
As to whether a one-step or two-step voting system should be applied, Chen urged the public to accept the CEC's decision.
A two-step voting system was adopted in the 2000 presidential election because it had been the CEC's decision to do so, he said, and the CEC had decided to switch to a one-step voting system next year because it wanted to avoid the drawbacks that were experienced when the two-step practice was used.
Separately in Taipei yesterday, Vice President Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) said it was unacceptable for local governments to constantly challenge the central government. Lu urged both sides to calm down and hammer out a plan to settle the matter.
Premier Chang Chun-hsiung (
He urged the 18 local governments to cooperate with the CEC, saying that election personnel should be aware of the consequences of breaking the law.
The Cabinet has warned local governments that defying the CEC's one-step voting format is a criminal violation subject to prosecution. Heads of local governments and front-line election personnel would be subject to punishment as laid out in the Civil Servants Work Act (公務人員服務法), the Civil Servants' Evaluation Act (公務人員考績法) and the Law on the Discipline of Civil Servants (公務人員懲戒法).
Meanwhile, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) presidential candidate Frank Hsieh (
Hsieh's running mate, Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌), said the opposition's boycott results from the Chinese Nationalist Party's (KMT) fear that the DPP's referendum proposal seeking to reclaim its stolen assets would succeed.
Upset by Chen's remark about martial law, the KMT caucus lambasted the president yesterday, calling him a "mad man."
"If Chen is not crazy, why does he keep making crazy comments?" KMT caucus whip Kuo Su-chun (
Justin Chou (
Chou said the president's remark showed that he was practicing "authoritarianism" rather than democracy.
"He was trying to [help the DPP] win the elections by frightening swing voters and local government officials away from casting their ballots and by forcing deep-green `fundamentalists' to vote against their will. What kind of democracy is that?" Chou said.
When asked if the caucus would seek a constitutional interpretation on the voting procedure controversy, Kuo said the caucus had not considered this because "80 percent of the Grand Justices are close to the president."
"The 18 pan-blue governed cities and counties will still stick to their decision to adopt a two-step voting procedure," Kuo said. "After all, we can only guarantee a smooth election by adopting this system."
When approached for comment in Yunlin, KMT presidential candidate Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said none of the four options the president was considering were feasible.
He urged everyone not to dance to the president's tune as this could arouse divisions in the nation.
Meanwhile, KMT Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平), was unwilling to talk about the issue.
Nevertheless, he said martial law could not be imposed by the president unless it was confirmed by the legislature.
He was referring to Article 39 of the Constitution, which stipulates that the president has the authority to impose martial law, but this cannot take effect unless it is confirmed or approved by the legislature.
The article also gives the legislature authority to reach a resolution to request that the president lift martial law.
Meanwhile, Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) told a press conference that the Taipei City Government was not intending to break the law. Hau said the city government was following the law as local governments had the authority to handle electoral affairs.
In response, Chang called on Hau to refrain from distorting the legal system.
"No matter how local governments conduct their electoral affairs, they can't go against the directive of the Central Election Commission," Chang said.
Additional reporting by Shih Hsiu-chuan
AIR SUPPORT: The Ministry of National Defense thanked the US for the delivery, adding that it was an indicator of the White House’s commitment to the Taiwan Relations Act Deputy Minister of National Defense Po Horng-huei (柏鴻輝) and Representative to the US Alexander Yui on Friday attended a delivery ceremony for the first of Taiwan’s long-awaited 66 F-16C/D Block 70 jets at a Lockheed Martin Corp factory in Greenville, South Carolina. “We are so proud to be the global home of the F-16 and to support Taiwan’s air defense capabilities,” US Representative William Timmons wrote on X, alongside a photograph of Taiwanese and US officials at the event. The F-16C/D Block 70 jets Taiwan ordered have the same capabilities as aircraft that had been upgraded to F-16Vs. The batch of Lockheed Martin
GRIDLOCK: The National Fire Agency’s Special Search and Rescue team is on standby to travel to the countries to help out with the rescue effort A powerful earthquake rocked Myanmar and neighboring Thailand yesterday, killing at least three people in Bangkok and burying dozens when a high-rise building under construction collapsed. Footage shared on social media from Myanmar’s second-largest city showed widespread destruction, raising fears that many were trapped under the rubble or killed. The magnitude 7.7 earthquake, with an epicenter near Mandalay in Myanmar, struck at midday and was followed by a strong magnitude 6.4 aftershock. The extent of death, injury and destruction — especially in Myanmar, which is embroiled in a civil war and where information is tightly controlled at the best of times —
China's military today said it began joint army, navy and rocket force exercises around Taiwan to "serve as a stern warning and powerful deterrent against Taiwanese independence," calling President William Lai (賴清德) a "parasite." The exercises come after Lai called Beijing a "foreign hostile force" last month. More than 10 Chinese military ships approached close to Taiwan's 24 nautical mile (44.4km) contiguous zone this morning and Taiwan sent its own warships to respond, two senior Taiwanese officials said. Taiwan has not yet detected any live fire by the Chinese military so far, one of the officials said. The drills took place after US Secretary
THUGGISH BEHAVIOR: Encouraging people to report independence supporters is another intimidation tactic that threatens cross-strait peace, the state department said China setting up an online system for reporting “Taiwanese independence” advocates is an “irresponsible and reprehensible” act, a US government spokesperson said on Friday. “China’s call for private individuals to report on alleged ‘persecution or suppression’ by supposed ‘Taiwan independence henchmen and accomplices’ is irresponsible and reprehensible,” an unnamed US Department of State spokesperson told the Central News Agency in an e-mail. The move is part of Beijing’s “intimidation campaign” against Taiwan and its supporters, and is “threatening free speech around the world, destabilizing the Indo-Pacific region, and deliberately eroding the cross-strait status quo,” the spokesperson said. The Chinese Communist Party’s “threats